1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up files to CD/DVD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Jolu, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jolu

Jolu Thread Starter

Hello,

I am prompted every so often to backup files to a CD/DVD writeable disc, which I do, and this causes me to have to buy more and more CD/DVD discs. I tried reformatting a past disc in order to erase stored information there and be able to use it once again to backup files but when I inserted the disc into drive E, I got an error message saying that the disc had data and I needed a blank/empty disc.

Any ideas?

Thanks. Jose

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you don't want to back up as often as you are, don't. It's really up to do as to what is backed up when. It sounds like your computer was configured without your knowledge or input, and you're just rolling with it for no reason. What program is prompting for the back ups? Are you sure it's backing up all your important data?

-/+R disks can only be written to once. They're not erasable. If that's the type of disk you're putting in the drive and it already has data, no, you can't erase it. You have to use RW disks which have a shorter lifespan and shelf-life. I wouldn't use them for backing up.

3. Jolu

Jolu Thread Starter

Hi,

Live One Care, the Microsoft Antivirus Program, is the program that asks me to backup my files. I am going to change the settings, otherwise I'll be backing up every other day. Thanks for your input.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I think it's time for you and the computer to have a talk. Who's in charge here, anyway?

Computers taking over the world is beginning to look less hard than I thought. And less and less of a bad idea.

5. Jolu

Jolu Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil,

Who's in charge?? The Computer, of course. I am just here for its amusement, LOL.:D

6. Hughv

Hughv

I'm glad to see you have things in their proper order.
    Windows One Care (Which I distrust) works much better backing up to an external HD.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice