1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up files using Dos

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gazelle44, Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gazelle44

gazelle44 Thread Starter

My computer crashed recently and the OS (Windows XP Home) would not boot. Dell had me run a repair which got the computer up and running, but deleted the profile to which all my files were linked. When I boot up now, I am logged in with a Temporay Profile and cannot access any of my old files. But when I run DIR in dos, I can see them in my old folders so I think they are still entact. Is there any way for me to access them and copy them to a CD or a different hard drive?

Thanks!

2. stod73

stod73

Are you the administrator?

3. gazelle44

gazelle44 Thread Starter

I'm not sure - I'm the only one who uses the computer, but I always accessed the desktop via the profile icon.

4. stod73

stod73

You probably are. Right click on the Start button and choose "Explore" (this will open your file manager). Navigate to C:\documents and settings\"user name"\My Documents. Were "user name" is put in your user name. You should then be able to access the old documents.

5. gazelle44

gazelle44 Thread Starter

Actually, the system is very unstable and explorer won't open at all. I just keep getting that annoying "We're sorry, explorer has experienced a problem and has to shut down"

By some miracle, however, a few program icons made it to the desktop I have access to. I tried a few of them, and one (Turbo Tax) is somehow still linked back to my old documents! If I open the program and browse for "all files" I can get to my stuff and individually copy and paste the items to the desktop. I'm hoping I'll be able to burn them to CD from here.

Random, but it seem to be working.

Thanks so much!
    K

6. stod73

stod73

Good luck!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!