1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up files without loading windows?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by darcsorrows, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darcsorrows

darcsorrows Thread Starter

I can't load Windows XP, so I need to back up my documents and reinstall. Is there a program that can back up an entire folder (from an NTFS filesystem) to a CD or USB device, WITHOUT having to load Windows?

The Windows Recovery Console is no good; it doesnt support wilcard or whole directory copies

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Welcome to the forum.
    I assume you mean that Windows isn't working.
    Can you install the HD as a second HD in a Working Computer ... or in a USB External Enclosure ??

3. darcsorrows

Is there another method, as I don't want to void the warrenty (my dad insisted on buying a pre-made PC, now he's finding out why thats a bad idea!)

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I'm not sure that would void the warranty... unless you broke something else.
    if you took the Computer to BBuys (for Example) and had them install a new HD ...
    The warranty will still be good.
    Then you could read the old HD in an External Enclosure... or as a slave

5. darcsorrows

And pay through the nose for something I could do myself? I've decided to open up the back and take the hard drive out, put it in another computer and back up from there, as you suggested before. Thank you!

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

That was my point .. glad you got it.

May I add ...
    The most unreliable, most likely to need replacing … part in your computer …
    Is the Bill Gates ... and the personal Data it works with ... as you've found out.

For that reason, IMO … Every computer(s) household needs at least one of the following …

My Preferred USB External Enclosure …
    External HD Enclosures Hard Drive Not included - Some easy assembly required.

Then shop for sales on a good HD … 300gigs can usually be found for $89.

The Backup/Recovery Software …
    Acronis TI Home Page …. The free trial D/L is fully functional for 15 days. ….. Buy here for $30

Then … it’s really a good idea to partition the HD so that the Bill Gates is in one Partition by itself and the personal Data is in another Partition.
    This way, you only have to Fix/Replace and maintain … what’s in need of repair.

BTW ... I agree with your Dad :D

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Too bad you didn't wait. ;) You can boot from an Acronis True Image CD and backup over the network, so you didn't have to crack the case to do the job.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!