1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing Up Files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by timdays, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timdays

timdays Thread Starter

I normally back up my files by using explorer and copying to my removable hard drive. I am using XP Home, is there a quicker way which will remember which files I want to back-up

2. Bengaul

Bengaul

Hi,

You should be able to go into the Windows backup wizard, in there it will give you the option to select the files you want backed up, then every time you want to back up again, you can select back up incremental files, or files that have changed. Have a play. I'm sure someone here will be able to be a bit more precise.

B

3. timdays

timdays Thread Starter

Thanks, now can you guide me to where I will find Windows Backup Wizard?

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

It just depeneds upon how intense you want to be about your back-ups. If you are just backing-up some "user created data", any simple program will do. You can set it to do specific files/folders and how often you want it done.
    You can back-up everything with-in your parameters, everytime (Full back-up)
    or
    You can have it only back-up the things that have changed since the last time. (Incremental)

5. Bengaul

Bengaul

Of course, Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Back up. There you will find the options. I'm sorry to be vauge, but I hope taht is a start at least.

6. timdays

timdays Thread Starter

There is the problem, I can get Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools but there is no Back Up

7. timdays

timdays Thread Starter

I wish to back up my letters, spreads, organiser, photos, etc., on a regular basis

8. timdays

timdays Thread Starter

9. downtime

downtime

Start, run, type in ntbackup, click ok.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not work much with home version of xp, however as I recall backup is not installed by default. You can install it from the xp cd if it is not installed now.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!