1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing Up files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dbar, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbar

dbar Thread Starter

i plan to purchase a new computer and will need to transfer files to the new from the old.

I will transfer My Documents and Internet bookmarks.

My concern is, can i also transfer any viruses etc to the new pc from the old.
    Because of it's poor performance recently, i'm pretty sure i have some kind of problem that Anti virus, spybot etc has been unable to clean.

What precautions do i need to take to avoid passing the virus/ problems to the new pc?

thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Be sure to thoroughly scan your folders both before and after the transfer. Be sure you have the most up-to-date virus definitions installed on the new machine before transferring anything or connecting to the net.

Generally speaking, few viruses or pieces of malware occupy Documents folders or internet bookmarks. They can't do much damage there and prefer the Windows folder or somewhere that they are more likely to be executed and hidden.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!