1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing Up Files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by krnjm, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krnjm

krnjm Guest Thread Starter

I would like to back up the entire contents of my hard drive. I have Windows XP. I've never done this before. Is it possible to put it on CD? Can someone let me know how to do this?

Thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no it wont be possible to put you harddrive onto CD {approx 650MB} however, you may be able to backup all your datafiles, depending on howmuch you save onto CD.
    What do you want to be able to do..
    Recover just the data or copy the entire drive using something like ghost?????

3. cronista

cronista

Karen:

Backing up your entire hard drive is a good idea but not very practical unless you have a serious reason to do so.

Technically, yes, you can do it. But probably not to a CD. On my WinXP-Pro machine, I have a tape backup connected that does automatic timed backups of certain folders every night at midnight. These are documents that I use in my work, and that would cost me, if not my job, certainly lots of $$ if I ever lost them. But I do not back up the full contents of my hard drive onto those tapes.

There are external / portable Hard Drives that are easier to use than a tape backup. They are realtively cheap and easy to connect. But for me it is easier to remove a casette tape to store somewhere other than in my home office than it is to have two external / portable hard drives and switch them every day for security. By the way, it was my insurance company that required me to perform backups and off-site storage of same. Imagine if I submitted a claim for thousands of dollars for work lost due to a fire.

Usually, you add many programs and personal files you make or collect after you receive your computer from the store. This makes backup to CD impractical.

While on this subject, here is something I learned. Be sure to put all your data files (Word documents, Excel documents, downloaded documents, etc.) into just one folder, like My Documents. Within that folder you can have hundreds of documents, by categories determined by you. For a long time (years?) it may be possible to drag that My Documents folder to the CD burning program and put them on a CD (until the size of the folder gets too big). Many people have their monitor plastered with dozens (I have seen more than a hundred on one monitor) of their files. I have only 3 icons on my "desktop." They are My Computer, Norton Protected Recycle Bin, and My Documents. For many people this is being too neat (anal?). I agree, but I do it.

Cordially,
    Cronista

4. krnjm

Actually, I would really only need to back up all my Outlook Express emails, and everything in My Documents. I work from home, and would be lost if I were to lose these files. Okay.... so how do I go about getting these files onto a CD?
    Thanks again!

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  6. krnjm

I have Nero.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

With XP, you can right click on any file you want to save, select Send To . . then your cd/rw drive . . you will get a bubble telling you you have fiels to be written to cd. click in that bubble and follow the yellow brick road.

You can do this many times before writing the files . . For your Outlook Express files, click on Start . . Search . . type *.dbx . . copy the folder these are in to the cd. For addresses, search for *.wab and do the same.

You can also use the XP Filles and Settings wizard to save the files to your hard drive, then copy that to cd.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!