1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up files?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by requiem., Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. requiem.

requiem. Thread Starter

I've given up on saving my computer from spyware because it's pointless. I want to do a clean install of Windows XP because I hate Vista. I need to know how to back up my files on Vista though. I have blank DVD's I just don't know how to get all the files on the DVD.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you use Vista's DVD burner?

3. requiem.

requiem. Thread Starter

Well, I decided to try something but I'm not sure if it's going to work.

I just put a DVD in, right clicked on C:/ and copied it and I did the same thing to E:/ except I pressed paste and it's apparently copying and has about 14 hours left but I'm sort of apprehensive because it seems too easy. Is that normally how long it takes?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you trying to back up your whole C: drive? I doubt this will work, and what is the purpose?

If you want to back up your entire drive, try some drive imaging application that will compress the image.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Usually I just copy the My Documents Folder and then export email messages and address book to the drive. No sense in copying the entire drive, you have to reinstall the programs again anyway.

6. requiem.

requiem. Thread Starter

I said in my first post that my computer is being slowly killed by Spyware.

I'll try just doing My Documents but what about my Itunes library?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Fine copy whatever is a file or data, just copying the whole partition is a waste.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!