1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing Up Files

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kmjaemo, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kmjaemo

kmjaemo Thread Starter

Okay, I got a whole mess of avi. files in my computer.
    I think they're clogging up too much space, so I want to... back them up. then delete the original files.

I'm having trouble however.

First of all, I don't know which type of cd I should use, Dvd-r, Dvd+r, dvd r/rw etc.

A best buy lady "reccomended" me to buy dvd-r... I don't know the drawbacks of it.

So I tried burning my avi files into the dvd r with nero, and it refused to.

so my questions are...

1. Which type of cd should i use?

2. Is dvd-r like... bad? Can you, when needed, copy the files in that backup cd into my computer?

3. In order to burn to dvd-r, do I have to change its video format? Cuz nero didn't accept avi, so I was wondering if I had to change file format.

4. Oh ya, now that I remember... I think Nero said something about the disk required is Dvd r/rw? I'm not sure... any suggestions?

I'll post anything up here if needed, such as the exact wordings of Nero's error message, etc.

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Open up Nero Express and choose DATA DVD and add your files (any type) until full then burn.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Your DVD burner may only write to a DVD+R .. Not DVD-R
    Some older computers/burners had this restriction.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A backup by definition is a second copy. There's certainly risk involved in having only one copy of a file regardless of where it's stored (hard drive versus DVD). If this data is important, make at least two copies of everything.

5. vicks

vicks

You mention cds and dvds. Does your computer have a dvd burner or just a cd burner:?
    vicks

6. kmjaemo

kmjaemo Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I found a solution...

1. burn data to dvd with nero

2. (when i delete files, and I need them in the future) I put the cd in, and copy the whole cd's contents onto desktop

Thanks a lot! (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/728888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice