1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backing up fonts

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jtn3833, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

i do graphic design and have collect a few thousand fonts for my work, mostly downloaded from the net. i was wondering how would i go about backing them up? i am using winME.

thanks.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Do you have a CD burner? If so, keep them there.

3. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

i have a burner, but if i drag them, they are removed from my fonts file.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Several Thousand is way too many fonts to have installed on your computer. You are over the limit and could be causing yourself problems. All those fonts are not really available to you. Certain fonts are necessary for windows to run correctly and you need to be careful not to remove those.

Here's a link I think you'll find useful.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/libra...nce=true&rnk=r1&terms=windows+font+management

5. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

yeah, i agree, i need to ditch some of these things. i had no idea that Win had a limit though. thanks for the link.
    -yet my question remains, how is one to backup their fonts.

6. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Highlight the fonts you want to back up. Right-click on them, and choose Copy. Paste them to the CD.

7. Gary R

Gary R

QUESTION RE Font back-up
    :
    Can I back up fonts supplied with Word 2000 this way? There are probably 20 fonts in there I have no use for.
    If I drag the cursor over the fonts list, will it also tell me which program(s) use it so I wouldn't accidentally remove one that Windows or another program requires??

8. hewee

hewee

9. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

All you do is copy and paste the fonts you want to back up. Do not cut and paste. That would remove the fonts from your system. Are you familiar with copying and pasting?

No, your computer will not tell you which fonts are needed and which aren't. Don't permanently delete any of them until you figure out which ones you need and which ones you don't.

10. slipe

slipe

Drag with your right mouse button instead of your left. When you get to your burner it will ask if you want to move or copy. With a left mouse click if you drag within a drive (like your C drive) you move. If you drag between drives you copy. (I think) Rather than remember which I am doing I just always right drag.

If you are considering removing some of your fonts from the computer and your only backup is your RW I wouldn’t use packet writing. Any time that formatted RW is in a running computer the table of contents (TOC) is in RAM. If you get a lockup or power failure you lose the entire TOC. Some newer versions of packet writing come with an explorer recovery program but it is a hassle at best. You can also overwrite stuff and since it is showing as a drive in Explorer I think it would be vulnerable to file altering or destroying viruses.

Your best bet is multi-session with mastering software (no format). You close the session so it can be read but leave the CD open for more sessions. The only thing that could go wrong would be to erase the RW. Use CDR and the data is totally secure. You can also do multi session with CDR.

If you are devoted to drag and drop and happen to have DirectCD you can packet write to CDR. You close the session when you are finished and the data there is secure. With the formatted CDR in the drive you can always just drag and drop to start a new session. It is also faster than RW and the formatting is quick and doesn’t take up much space. Each session costs about 15Mb, but formatting a RW loses over a hundred Mb.

11. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

well, the right click/drag idea worked (nifty tip too, i didn't know you could do that), but after copying the fonts to a backup folder all of the fonts on my system flipped out. Word and photoshop wouldn't recognize my fonts. so after a little playing around, it seemed to work itself out somehow.
    thanks for your help

12. hewee

hewee

jtn3833,

Glad you got got things working but if you start removing fonts read the post in the links above.
    There are fonts you need to keep.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice