1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing Up HDD That Wants To Be Formatted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chibahawk, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

OK I installed a new MB and CPU and bought a new IDE HDD for my new system. However I need a lot of the stuff off the old hard drive. I hooked it up as a Slave drive thinking that as long as it wasn't trying to boot from the drive, it was readable.

I can't access any files and it says the drive needs to be formatted to my surprise.

I remember working as a technician for like a week that there is a kind of cable you can get to transfer files from one HDD to another. It was a very primitive IDE-to-IDE connection I think. What other ways can I access the other HDD?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is no cable that I've ever heard of to transfer directly between two disks.

Have you tried connecting it to the secondary IDE channel with no other drives connected? How about connecting it to the old MB?

3. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

the problem was that my old MB fried.

are you talking about like adding the HDD to the IDE channel that the CD-ROM is one but just disconnect the CDROM and connect the HDD?

4. jackdw

jackdw

Set the jumper to cable select or master if it doesn't have CS. Connect it to the first connector up from the motherboard nad see what happens.

5. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

can you just say that once more a little more clearly please? I think it's set to cable select or slave at the moment... but the second part

are you suggesting to connect the IDE drive to its own IDE channel? meaning I would have 2 HDDs with 2 separate IDE cables on 2 separate channels? Would I run both as Master?

6. bigbear

bigbear

Connect it to the second connector on the ide ribbon and set the jumper as cable select or slave

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

You can run a master on each of two IDE channels. If you have 80 wire IDE cables, you can place both drives on a single ribbon and set both drives to cable select. The drive at the END of the cable will be the master, then intermediate drive will be the slave in this configuration.

8. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

Gotcha yea... but my main problem isn't really covered yet - do you think putting it on its own channel will allow it to be readable? As of now the PC recognizes the drive but it wants to format it...

9. telegramsam

telegramsam

If your computer can see it, you can use it, provided it's not corrupted.

DON'T format it, or everything is gone. Go into disk managment, enable it, and copy your files from it.

10. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

K just checked Disk Management. I got this for my drive Im trying to enable.

Data Type: RAW
    Free Space 0 Bytes
    Used Space 0 Bytes

Weird..

11. JohnWill

Yep, I take all the other devices off the channel and just connect the hard disk. No jumpering issues, and no conflicts with your boot drive.

12. JohnWill

You'll need a disk data recovery applications for that drive, something is corrupted. You can give PC Inspector a look, and I'm sure there'll be more suggestions. :)

13. guitar

guitar Banned

14. JohnWill

Actually, it's a real bad idea to use a USB <-> IDE adapter of any kind to do data recovery. Many data recovery applications won't work at all on USB attached devices, and even if they do, they're happier with a directly connected drive.

15. guitar

guitar Banned

hmmm i've never had a problem (moving program install files,music,movies,mydocuments) i thought thats the sort of stuff he wanted to recover?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice