1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backing up information

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jps, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jps

jps Thread Starter

I want to back up all of my Palm desktop information to an external hard drive. I have tried to export to the drive but it does not work. What do I have to do?
    I thought I might install the Palm program to the external drive but the install program does not allow me to choose

2. bradly

bradly

3. bradly

bradly

...oops..

Just save it to your backup drive, instead of My Documents.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Just copy the Palm folder to the external drive.

5. jps

jps Thread Starter

Bradley: I followed the directions Exported the address book to my external drive. Then opened it. It was not understandable. Some recognizable words mixed with many zeros. How can it be changed to it's address book form?
    I tried to copy and paste, but it would not allow me to paste.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Do you want to back up the data, or do you want to export the data to a different format?

7. bradly

bradly

Did you "import" it with your Palm Desktop?

8. jps

jps Thread Starter

No I clicked export and chose my Fdrive(external drive) as the destination. An icon appeared on the drive with the tiytle I designated, but when I clicked it what came up was not understandible.

9. bradly

bradly

After you've exported it. Use Palm Desktop to "import" the files from your Fdrive. The files are probably specific to Palm Desktop....
    When you clicked it, what program actually opened the backed up files?

10. jps

jps Thread Starter

I have no idea. How can I determine this?

11. bradly

bradly

when you double clicked the backed up files (in Fdrive), what program opened and showed you the scrambled data (was in Notepad?)? Just take notice of what program opens these files.

But regardless, these backups you made should be opened with Palm Desktop with no problems.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice