1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing-up Just Files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mjbyyz, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

This may seem like a very elementary question, but how does one back-up only files in Windows XP and not 'everything'?

After all these years, you might say I have been v lucky not to lose everything - in fact I have had some minor disasters, not knowing how to back-up files only.

Specific instructions would be most welcome.

John - May 1st 2008 - 22:55EDT

2. vicks

vicks

The ways I am aware of are to:
    Burn to cd or dvd.
    Store on Thumb drive
    An external hard drive.

I have used all three.

The way I do it, is I have 2 thumb drives (1gig each). I open MY COMPUTER and open the removable drive, minimize it then open MY DOCUMENTS, minimize it, and select the folder I want to save, hold the button down, drag it to the thumb drive window release it and let it do its thing, then go to the next one.
    I alternate between the 2 drives, use one this time then the other, and format the first one. That way I always have a copy.
    Hope this is what you are wanting.
    vicks

3. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Thanks, Vicks, that does answer the question, the way I worded it. But I didn't word what I wanted to do correctly.
    What I really wanted to know was WHAT to save, rather than HOW. You know, how do I segregate FILES from all the rest of the stuff? There must be a simple way since people do it all the time.
    John - 080501-23:55EDT

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

5. vicks

vicks

Each person has to decide what they want to keep. What is important to me may not be to you. I try to keep my music, my pictures, and financial type stuff and........
    I make a file for different stuff like 'computer helps' another one for tax info. another for whatever is important at the time, and don't have one already. I do these in the my documents area. Also check the header 'view' and scroll down to have it show everything by name (alphabetically) Hope this helps.

Vicks

6. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Thanks, guys, I think I'm getting the idea now. At first I thought one backed-up everything except Program Files (which of course can be reinstalled from originals usually, in case of a disaster). Therefore I figured everything else would have to be backed-up. And this takes up a LOT of room.

Then there is incremental backing-up - ????

John - 080502-00:33EDT

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You need a drive imager. It will back up everything, programs, files, and your operating system, to a space that is about 60% of the used space on the drive. It is the very safest and easiest backup. You are even safe when your hard drive fails (which it will). Get an external drive for the images and other storage and sleep better.

Acronis True Image Home is popular here.

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:

SystemRescueCD
    EaseUs Disk Copy (Copies disks or partitions)
    XXClone
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    CloneZilla
    Partition Saving
    PCI CloneMaxx
    Drive Image XML
    HDClone
    DriveClonerXP
    Self-Image
    copyr.dma (Copies disk with bad sectors for recovery)

Commercial Apps:

O&O DiskImage
    Acronis True Image Home
    Farstone Drive Clone (Drive image, snapshots, file/folder backups.)
    EAZ-FIX Professional and Easy Image
    Drive Snapshot
    Keriver Image
    Avanquest Copy Commander
    Paragon Drive Backup
    NovaBackup
    R-Drive Image
    Norton Ghost
    HDClone Pro or Enterprise
    Terabyte Image for Windows
    Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
    Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

8. Diabo

Diabo

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Or:

Folder Mover can move the following to other drives or partitions:

My Documents
    Windows Desktop
    IE History
    Recent Files
    Outlook Express Emails
    IE Temporary Files
    Windows Temporary Files
    IE Favorites

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    "People usually keep their files in their Documents folder and then just back that up."
    Also one needs to check with all of one's software. Some still will save the files within the "Program" folder.
    A few are Quicken, Quickbooks and Legacy.

11. Diabo

Diabo

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!