1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up mp3's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by fevola25, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fevola25

fevola25 Thread Starter

Hi, im thinking of formatting my computer, I am going to back up my mp3's onto dvd's, Am I best to burn them as mp3's or make data disk ?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

MP3's are data, that's how I'd burn them.

3. fevola25

fevola25 Thread Starter

Ok, cool.

can you tell me what the difference is between them, data seems to transfer on nero quicker than when I do it as an mp3.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you just drop an MP3 into Nero, when burning as an "audio CD" it will convert the files to .cda, which take about 10 times the size on the CD. It thinks you want to convert them to a playable CD on a stand-alone CD (non mp3 capable) player and acts accordingly.

An MP3 file is just a data file. Therefore that is how it should be treated.

5. JohnWill

What he said. :D

6. fevola25

fevola25 Thread Starter

Thanks very much guys ;)

7. fevola25

fevola25 Thread Starter

Also, I have a number of video clips id like to back up aswell, do I burn these the same way as I did the mp3's ??

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

9. adaz

adaz

Strictly speaking even though you paid for the mp3's they are still subject to copyright!

When you download them the sight, has been granted the express permission to disribute the copierited files.

unless you have applied for permission and been granted it, copping the material to anything be it cd/dvd another hard drive or even youre chosen brand of portable mp3 player does not legally consuetude fair use under the agreement :rallyes:
    well here in the uk anyway:eek:
    see page16 may issue of pc advisor in the uk or try www.pcadvisor.co.uk they might have posted the article

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

fevola25 never said anything about downloading or paying for copywrited
    material.
    For all you know, these could be home recordings.

11. adaz

adaz

very true! my misunderstanding thanks for putting me wright! sorry :eek:

12. Hypermagic2

Hypermagic2

Option 2 is this: go buy an external USB 2.0/firewire hard drive and plug it up, then move all your media files to it. It's not as cheap as burning to a disc, but takes less time. I have one internal hard drive, 2 external hard drives, an internal and external DVD burner, an internal DVD ROM drive and a flash thumbdrive. Portable media rocks.

13. JohnWill

And you should remember, a single copy of any file you value is a bad idea. ;)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!