1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing Up MS Outlook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by UBAGirl, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

I need the easiest way to backup MS Outlook. My computer runs MS Outlook 2000 and the other 2 employees in my office run MS Outlook 2003. I have read some of the threads and I am a little confused. I want the simplest way to back up email messages, and contacts for both 2000 and 2003. I want to be able to back them up and then understand how I access them if I need to. Thanks for your help:)

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I use the same pst file in Outlook 2000 2003 and 2007 with no problems.

3. cherry pie

cherry pie

Simply backup files with extension (pst) and (pab for addresses in OL 2000 I think)

A tip is also to look for a file with the extension (nk2) in windows XP it's located in (C:\Documents and settings\User_ID\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\User.nk2) This will save the (auto complete) for the addresses when you type them (for example you type jo and it will retrieve john smith...) not necessary though but kinda luxury ;)

To access them, copy back the pab and nk2 to the original location.

pst file can be placed anywhere, to open it within outlook, choose File > Open > Outlook Data file and browse for the pst

hope this helps

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

The PST file should not be just copied over with Outlook 2007 though. The structure of the 2007 PST file is much different than its predecessors. You should use the built-in import functionality when transferring to Outlook 2007. Data will migrate to the new structure. I don't recommend just copying any PST file actually. Fyi.

5. Krash

Krash

To reinforce what Firefytr said - Outlook 2000/2002 use the same type of coding for their PST files and Outlook 2003/2007 a different format. Although you can use OL2000/2002 format pst files in Outlook 2003/2007, it is not the same the other way around.

Firefytr's recommendation is not baseless though. The old formats in Outlook 2000/2002 can store fewer emails/data compared to 2003/2007. Hence if you use the same file instead of importing and your pst size blows up, the file could (usually WILL) get corrupted. This could result in permanent loss of data :(

6. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

Do I need to backup both the archive and the outlook pst files? Isn't that duplicating the same information?

7. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

The information you asked about is all contained in the PST file. You cannot backup the Outlook application itself. There is a backup add-in for Outlook, which takes periodic copies of your PST file (I believe upon closing of the application). A google search for "outlook backup add-in" would yield the results you needed for it.

8. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

I am sorry - I guess I just am not getting it. Under Outlook there is an outlook .pst file and an archive .pst file. Do I backup both or am I duplicating?

9. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

You can backup both, sure. The archive.pst file is for Outlook's archiving functionality. Be sure to read about it in the help files.

If you back them up, what I always did was take and just rename with the date added. So Outlook.pst then became Outlook_backup_8_Nov_07.pst.old. Something meaningful is the key. You can do the same for the archive file.

10. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

Thanks you have been so helpful. What we do in our office is actually just "copy" the .pst files to another hard drive and then we switch our hard drives monthly. Since I am copying and not backing up is there a problem with opening it in Outlook?

11. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

As long as you're not changing the versions you open them up in that is perfect and the best way to do it. The problem arises if you take one pst file and try to open it in another (whilst you will probably not have any issues, the last thing you need is a corrupted pst file with all of your data on it).

And remember, backup frequently, backup often!!! :) (check this out)

You can mark your thread as Solved by going to Thread Tools | Mark Solved | Perform Action.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice