1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up music as a "data" disk instead of a "audio" disk? Possible?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 8dalejr.fan, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan Thread Starter

I have almost 2 Gb of music on my computer that I'd hate to lose. And hate to have to rebuy or redownload too.

So what I'm wondering is... can I back up all that music on 3-4 700mb disks as a data disk instead of making a 70 minute music disk?

I have Sonic RecordNow that I use for music burning and data backup. I'm just wondering if it is possible to back up 1/3 of it in a folder as a data disk, and do the same for the other parts.

Possible? Would this work?

It would make much more sense to have 4 disks that although you could not PLAY them in a CD player as the songs would be stored in a folder on it, to just be able to copy them out onto another computer instead of making 20+ audio CD's.

Would my idea work? Help me out guys...

2. valis

valis Moderator

definitely. I've got 30+ gigs of music that I so hate to lose that I've backed it all up to dvd media, and keep it offsite, along with other important stuff.

It's all data anyhow.

v

3. valis

valis Moderator

just to continue, that dvd data that I've backed up, I've also created a singles compilation that is 8 gigs (I got the dl dvd burner) and listen to that at work, neatly bypassing the 'no streaming audio' rule some bean counter put in place.

v

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can use the native XP CD burning feature to copy as data . . HIghlight as many files as will fit on one cd . . Right click on the file(s) . . select send to . . then select your cd/rw drive . . you will get a popup that tells you that you have files to be written to cd . . click in that box and flollow the yellow brick road to burn the files

5. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! :) I'm probably going to find some time tomorrow or Monday to do that.

And congrats on your 4,000th post simpswr. :)(y)

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Hey . . I didn't notice that . . ( guess now it's gone )

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/461557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice