1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up music files

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Capslock17, Jul 31, 2006.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Capslock17

Capslock17 Guest Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but you know how you can only put small amounts of music onto a CD? (Isn't it because of Copyright and piracy?)

So how do I go about backing up my music files if I can only use about 1/10 of the CD's space for music files? Do I have to use 63 blank CDs to backup my music or is there another cheaper more efficient way?

Thanks peeps

2. stantley

stantley

I'm not sure where you got that mis-information from, but you can use the whole disc. If you have wav files you can put about 80 min. of music on a CD, if they are MP3 files you can put about 700 MB on a disc.

'another cheaper more efficient way' is to save the files as MP3 files and burn a data DVD (if you have a DVD burner), you can get about 4.3 GB on a DVD.

Another option is to get an external disk drive and backup all your data. You can now get a good external drive for under 50 cents per GB.

3. Capslock17

Well I got that info because 80 min is roughly 70 MB, and the blank CD holds 700 MB

4. Capslock17

Oh, and what about M4P and M4A files? Am I doomed to suffer with iTunes or can I convert them to mp3 or some other universal music file?

5. stantley

stantley

That was going to be my next question, what format are you using. For iTunes files the only thing you can do is burn an audio disc and then rip that disc to MP3 files.

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    80 minutes of music could be about 70 MB of compressed (MP3, AAC, M4P, M4A, etc) music files. As long as you keep the files compressed, you would be able to get about 800 minutes worth of music files onto one burned data CD.

When burning the compressed music files to a CDR, make sure you have the burning software set to burn a data CD, not a music CD. Some burning programs, like Nero if recall, will automatically decompress music data files into audio CD format if you tell the software you want to burn an audio CD and then select compressed files as the source.

7. Capslock17

So going about this... Is there any software that can convert iTunes files (M4P and M4A) to mp3s so I can cram a boatload onto a single blank CD or do I have to save the files as a data CD or audio CD and then rip it as mp3 files?

And will there be any difference in the quality of the mp3s I've ripped from music files saved as a data CD or audio CD? Or would iTunes music files go as data CDs automatically because they're .m4P and .m4A?

And when ripping to mp3 files, should I do so at 192 kbps (default for WMP 10)? I would want them to be similar in quality to the files I listen to through iTunes (128 kbps?)

8. stantley

stantley

No, there is no way to do a direct conversion. First you have to burn an audio cd, not a data cd. Then rip them to mp3. Just as a test, try ripping them at 192, then 128 and see if you notice a difference. If disk space isn't a problem, then use 192.

If you don't want to keep the audio cd's, you can keep re-using the same cd-rw.

9. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You should be able to back up the original iTunes m4p and m4a files if you plan to only use iTunes for playing them back at some future date. Here is a thread for someone that wanted to backup their iTunes music library prior to wiping their hard drive:

http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/487092-backing-up-my-itunes-purchases.html

You should be able to adapt the instructions in the linked Apple article to burn DATA CDs of the back up files. As far as I know, iTunes does not burn backup data CDs of music libraries

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice