1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing Up My Entire C: Drive!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by GoJoAGoGo, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Hi:

My O/S is Win ME. I presently have just a few programs from my C: Drive backed up. I used Easy CD Creator. I want to back up my entire C: Drive and wonder if Easy CD Creator will be the way to go or is there another program which I could use that would do a better job. Freeware or Shareware for a reasonable price will work.

Thanks....:cool:

2. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Hey Cwool guy,

Are you trying to make a copies of data or save whole programs and settups? Easy CD would probably work fine for your personal stuff... photos, songs, mails and such.

I know it does not fall withing your Freeware parameter, but I have used Norton Ghost on three PCs with good success and actual had a major crash and completely restored the new HD back to the original - started up like it never missed a beat - with perfect success.

just a thought

- Castleheart :cool:

"...it escaped ..... into D mountains...."

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

I agree. I can't say enough good things about Ghost.
    If you happen to have Norton System works, Ghost is a part of it.

Here is a good tutorial on Ghost.

http://ghost.radified.com/

4. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Hey Hawk,

I've seen that site listed before and never could get it to load.
    just checked again and it still doesn't for me. Has it been changed or maybe it evaporated? Clue me in. I would be anxious to check it out

- Castleheart :confused:

5. brindle

brindle

I just tried it too and it wouldn't load

ditto just got it to load

6. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Well I'll be. I no sooner sent that last message than I tried again and it worked. Must be busy sometimes!

Never mind

- C

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Could have been busy, they say that it is the most popular tutorial on the site, followed only by their one on Fdisk.

http://fdisk.radified.com/

I copied and pasted each to a Word document and put the site link at the top of the page for reference.

8. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

The tutorial even has the command line for backing up your HD in 640meg slices so that they can be burned to CD's later if you don't have an extra partition or HD.

9. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Hi:

CastleHeart, thanks for your response. Yes I want to backup my entire HD, programs, setups, files, folders etc..... And if I need to format my HD, I would like to restore it back to the way it was as you say, without missing a beat. Nortons Ghost sounds like what I'm looking for.

I've done a little research looking for the best price and have discovered Nortons Ghost 2002 is rated higher than the 2003 version. Have you heard anything about this fact? I found this information at this site:
    http://www.dealtime.com/GS2/GS2Stat...738108048&keyword=nortons+ghost&submit=Search

Nitehawk thanks for the Ghost tutorial link. I will read the entire tutorial before I make any final decisions. Sounds like I will go with Nortons Ghost but now must decide which to choose, the 2002 or 2003 version.

Thanks again...:cool:

10. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

As I understand it, the biggest difference between Ghost 2002 and 2003 is that 2002 and everything before that was run from the command line (DOS), 2003 is supposed to be able to run from both the command line and from within windows.

Other than that, I don't know what differences there are between 2002 and 2003. I'm used to the command line, so it's no big deal.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

12. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Thanks johnwill, $10.00 is definitely a good deal. (y)

13. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

:eek: $10 :eek:

Most definitely!

- C

'we're looking at a THING IN A bag !"

14. raybro

raybro

Johnwill... About the NSW with Ghost. Do you know if Ghost is a "Full" version? I'm tinking back to when Symantec had GoBack bundled with NSW and it was a "Personal Edition" which did not have all the features of the Deluxe Edition.

Just wondering if they did a similar thing with Ghost.

15. Krall

Krall

Just a question. I have used Ghost before to make an image of my computer and then restore my pc using my new image. my question is, Doesnt your PC have to have TWO hard drives or TWO partitions on the same disk to do this? If you make an image of your pc isnt it too large to fit on cd? and in that case if you put it on your hdd and then go and format your hdd, you also format your image. which is best way to do it, put image on cd, on another hdd, or on another partition?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice