1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backing up my iTunes purchases...

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ian80, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I am reformatting my computer and need to backup about 40+ albums purchased through iTunes. I just want to know how to go about this the best way, so that I get everything I need (ie the licences for the mp4s, so that they still play).

I will be using my portable hard drive to store them during the reformatting. Just want to make sure I get everything I need before I go for it and lose $400 worth of songs...:eek:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Thanks!

I consolidated my library. Another question: Are the licences built-in to the MP4? As in, I can't seem to find any seperate licence files, so how will iTunes know it is still me after I've reformatted? I ask, because I know my friends can't play songs I've purchased on their computers. Just want to make sure!

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did you mean M4P, not MP4? I believe that M4P is what is used by by iTunes to put a DRM "wrapper" around an AAC music file

It sounds like you should de-authorize you current copy of iTunes before reformatting the hard drive and then reauthorize the new installation of iTunes to ensure you can continue to use your purchased M4P files:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

You may want to get a second opinion from someone a lot more familiar with iTunes. The only time I have used iTunes was to help our daughter initialize a video iPod she received for Christmas. She has been using Winamp to manage her iPod ever since that time.

5. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Thanks!

I feel pretty confident I will be fine now. I've played around with deauthorizing and I can't see how they would stop working after a reformat.

6. nmithani1

nmithani1

Careful mate, you can deauthorise only once a year. You're better off formatting, re-installing Windows then letting iTunes assume that it's the second out five allowed computers you can play purchased music on.

Secondly, there is a software allowing one to make a non-DRM backup of DRM files; I am not sure if it would be allowed in the forums so I shall not name it just yet.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice