1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up my PC hard drive system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rmorgan63, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rmorgan63

rmorgan63 Thread Starter

I currently have windows vista (hate it) on my system and I want to install Windows 7. My question is this, what is the best way to back up my entire system using an external hard drive and what is a reliable and not to expensive external hard drive system available, say around $100 - 200?

Here are my specs on my system:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9600 Quad-Core Processor, x64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3325 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 465674 MB, Free - 97852 MB; D: Total - 11264 MB, Free - 3222 MB;
    Motherboard: ECS, MCP61PM-GM
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. black-wolf

black-wolf

3. rmorgan63

rmorgan63 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input black-wolf. I am considering all aspects. Want to make sure that I am doing it right. My problem is that I am still in the novice stage,but slowly moving forwards so you can see why I am checking all aspects. Hope you understand.
    Now, all I have to do is to decide on which HDD to pick along with the ext case. Got any clues as to which one that would be good to use?:confused:

4. black-wolf

black-wolf

5. rmorgan63

rmorgan63 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I have saved the two links for future. Now, I have another question for you and I hope you don't mind me asking. I have saved a previous hard drive from a previous Gateway desktop that used 98 Windows 2nd addition. It is a "Maxtor", DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB ATA/133 HDD. I also have a "Maxtor" Model 92732U8 HDA 08A PCBA 07A Unique 11A Code RA530JNO that is a 27.3 GB drive. Can I use either one of these as a backup and will they fit in either one of the external cases?:confused:

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

According to your specs, you have over 350GB of data. Even a well-compressed backup will not fit on a 120GB drive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065564