1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up my pc

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by WCCMIKE, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WCCMIKE

WCCMIKE Thread Starter

Anyone know any good programs to backup your pc cause they say its good to have a backup and i have none.Another thing will i lose my pictures and stuff if i ever had to reformat.

2. colmaca

colmaca

I'll answer the last bit first, yes you will lose your pictures and stuff if you reformat.

I use Cobian Backup to back up what files i need to save and its free.

you just point at folders and it will back up and split to cd/dvd size so you may burn to cd/dvd and keep in a safe place.I use a rewrightable so when i want to update i just delete and put the latest backup on.

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

3. happyrck

happyrck

make several copies of anything you can't or don't want to live without...move at least one of them to a friend or family members house..do this regularly and if you ever have a serious crash you will just have to reinstall windows and a few apps and you can transfer your treasures back:cool:

4. MowermanEd

MowermanEd

spend $30 and get a copy of Acronis True Image. Best investment you'll ever make.

5. WCCMIKE

WCCMIKE Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the help.What's everyone think about Microsoft sp 2 cause i heard many things about it so i have avoided it.

6. colmaca

colmaca

I been running SP2 since it first came out no problems. I slipstreamed my xp install so in sintalls SP2 on reinstall of xp, I heard its go better than installing xp then adding SP2

It takes a bit to do but is the way to go. google slipstream xp sp2 and you will find many sites with detailed instructions on how to do.

last its safer to use all updates that they put out.

7. fleamailman

fleamailman

Mowermed, that interests me, is Acronis a one comp one product key software or can one just buy it and use of as many comps that one wishes?

If you buy a small external harddrive case for about $30 it isn't hard to lay one hands on a harddrives of gb6, 10gb, 15gb, etc., for peanuts. I would go for the laptop ones since they are normally powered by the USB port(not the mains) meaning that they are something like a USB pendrive only slightly bigger , also in buying the case see if it comes with a leather pouch as they are not as robust.

8. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Ideally, you should have an external hard drive that is only active during the time you are making "image" backups with Acronis' TrueImage. This is an added expense. However, regularly backing up your entire system, rather than just selected files, is "money in the bank."

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Virtually all of the software products you buy are licensed for one computer. That would include any of the imaging products like Acronis True Image, Norton GHOST, etc.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!