Backing up OE 5 address book and mail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DKTaber

I have OE 5.0, and have used it only about 1.5 weeks. Used to use AOL. In AOL, backing up your address book and e-mail was simple; they were kept in a separate folder called "Organize". If you backed that folder up, and subsequently uninstalled AOL, then reinstalled it, all you had to do was overwrite the /Organize folder the new installation created, and you had your old address book and e-mails back. No linking, no importing, etc.

I have read a number of threads on this board that send chills up my spine. Had I not read them, I would think that all I have to do to backup the address books and e-mail boxes for my two identities is to backup C:\Windows\Application Data with its subfolders. If I ever had to reformat my HD, which I just did prior to starting to use OE, I could simply overwrite the .wab and .dbx files created by a reinstallation of OE, and I'd be back in business. It is apparently not that simple (Microsoft strikes again!).

Can someone tell me a how to backup AND RESTORE my address books (including groups) for each identity, and the retained e-mails in each mail box for each identity?

DKTaber

Originally posted by DoyceJ
See if this scares as bad.

http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe5/backup/index.htm
It doesn't "scare"; not much "scares" me about computers, but it certainly disappoints me...in Microsoft. It's a shame they have a monopoly, because IMO, their software is an embarrassment to the programming community. It is unconscionable to me to put a program on the market without providing a SIMPLE, ONE-STEP solution to backing up address books and messages.

I have printed all of the information on the site you directed me to, and will digest it in the next day or so, and will give you feedback on my impressions.

Many thanks. The site was very informative.

I find MS has set up OE to back up easily. You can determine where the messages are stored. I have it store mine in my folder I use for backups. Since I have a system where everything that hasn’t been backed up is in the folder, all I have to do is import my favorites from IE to the folder and burn it. If I kept my address book in OE I would export it to the folder as well if I couldn’t set it up to be automatic like the mail. My mail gets automatically backed up with every backup with no intervention on my part.

That isn’t to say that a one stop back up might not be a nice feature for most people. I do think “unconscionable” and “an embarrassment to the programming community” is a little strong. I think IE and OE are terrific programs for the price.

M$ does not have a monopoly on e-mail clients BTW. There is freeware like Eudora Lite that is quite competent. It is safer as well since IE is universal enough that many viruses take advantage of Outlook and OE. If you want to actually pay for an e-mail client there are several that are competent and full featured.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.