1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backing up old HD on CD-R

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by john_waldrum, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john_waldrum

john_waldrum Thread Starter

My grandfather received a new computer for Christmas e-machine (yuck) with a 900 mhz celeron processor and 20 gig HD 128 meg sdram pc 133. Problem is he wants me to copy some of the work he had done on his Packard Hell Legend 66mhz 341.2 MB HD to CD-R. I removed the HD from the old computer and hooked it as slave on my Computer since I have a Burner. Problem is the hard drive is not showing up. Not even in bios. I have a 40 gig quantum fireball 7200 rpm as master. I disconnected my hard drive and placed his in as master and it worked, but CD_rom not found now, so I can't burn it to cd . I have also tried hooking it as slave in line witht he cd burner to no avail. any help would be appreciated. Also both operating systems are windows 98.

2. Rockn

Rockn

You don't have your primary jumpered right....needs to be set as master with slave present not a standalone drive.

Try putting it on your second IDE channel.

3. john_waldrum

ok, I have tried to jumper it in every possible manner to no avail. I first jumpered the 40 gig as cable select on the primary ide and the 341 mb drive as cable select and placed them in the proper place on the ribbon. after messing with that I placed the old small drive back into its original computer and it booted up normally. The old drive is a Western Digital Caviar 341.2 MB, My Drive again is a Quantum Fireball AS 7200 rpm. Also I noed that when I ran maintanence wizard on the old unit that the drive is compressed??? Would this maybe be causing me to have problem or could it be that my units motherboard does not recognize more than 40 gigs of hard drive space.

4. john_waldrum

Forgot to mention that I did try it on the secondary ide channel with the cd burner to noavail and jumpers were in the right position.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice