1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up OS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kpikul, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kpikul

kpikul Thread Starter

Is it possible to back up my operation system windows XP? The computer did not come with the disk and I would like to reforrmat the hard-drive.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

Did it come with a built-in system recovery partition so you can revert it back to its original factory condition?

Does it have a Microsoft sticker on the case with the Windows version and the 25-digit product code?

(Note: Don't submit that code here!)

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. kniht

kniht

What brand of computer do you have? Is there a recovery partition on the hdd? You could try contacting the maker of the computer and request recovery disks.

4. kniht

kniht

flavallee

Beat me by 6 minutes. I'll just fade into the night :)

5. kpikul

kpikul Thread Starter

It is a Dell Dimension 4500 about 7 years old. It does not have a sticker with the 25-digit product code.

I am not sure how to check for a built-in system recovery partition so you can revert it back to its original factory condition.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If it's a Dell Dimension 4500, it'll have a sticker with a 7-character service tag number. Advise what it is, and be careful not to make a typo.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Open the MY COMPUTER window. What's listed for the drive letters and their names?

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice