1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up Out look

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lyneyuki, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lyneyuki

lyneyuki Thread Starter

I want to back up inbox and contact of out look. Do anyone know how to back up. My Windows 98SE got too many bugs. So I want to format hard drive and re install everything. But I don't want to loose emails in the inbox and contact address.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    What version??

3. lyneyuki

lyneyuki Thread Starter

It is Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196492

I swore it was listed in that article...but I don't see it.

To back up your email accounts so you don't have to recreate them:

Tools-Accounts, select the account and hit Export. This create IAF (internet account file) files, which you can copy to the new PC.

You can load the PST right away and Outlook may ask you to import it, but I prefer to get Outlook up and running, then close it and then find the new outlook.pst file and replace it with my old one. On relaunch of Outlook, it'll be JUST like before.

5. RazorRay32

RazorRay32

Is there anything like an IAF in Office 2002 (XP)?

I am moving computers and would like to easily tranfer my email accounts without re-typing them all in (I have several).

Thanks in Advance...

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I believe so, yes.

Just go to Tools-Email something something....where you set up your accounts. When you see the list of accounts, is there a button to Export?

7. Kenk_1998

Kenk_1998

You just need to do and export.......Store that file somewhere like maybe write it to CD.....Then do your system work.....then just Import it back......It actually works well.......While in Outlook just click File...then select export....export your PST file and make sure it has all folders..like Calendar...inbox...outbox....contacts....

Then do what you have to and when ready just go and import it back.

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Basically, you don't even need to export.

Just shut down Outlook "for the last time".
    Copy any PST files to your new PC...

That's all an export is doing....creating a "copy".

The reason they have the export is if you ONLY want to export contacts, or emails, or just some part of your Outlook folders. If you copy all the PSTs, you'll take with you your archives and any additional PSTs you may have created.

You DO have to export rules, internet account files, and settings, but I think all that's in the article I posted.

9. Kenk_1998

Kenk_1998

That's true Dreamboat.....You suggestion is also a good way to get it done :)

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    :)

(I always forget that it's easier myself and tell people all the steps to exporting...doh! And I'm the one who's constantly messing around with different PSTs.)

11. RazorRay32

RazorRay32

Outlook XP does not have an export function for the internet accounts (not that I can see anyway, am I blind or something?)...

I have exported all of my contacts, messages, sent items, etc...but I would like to export my email accounts easily...I have 10 in there and to be quite honest don't remember all of the passwords as some were given to me and cannot be changed.

any help would be appreciated...thanks in advance

12. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Ray: I only installed OLXP for a short while and don't recall...

:(

Sorry!

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  14. Leftfield_2k

Leftfield_2k

The easiest way to backup or transfer ALL outlook 2002 data including e-mails in your inbox is to goto the following directory and copy the two files below to a CD/DVD-R.
    (You WILL need to have 'Show hidden files and folders' enabled in Tools - Folder Options - View, then click the 'Apply To All folders' button.

Goto the following directory and copy: Outlook.pst & extend.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\DNA-Project\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

{DNA-Project will be whatever you login as on your PC}

Then on a fresh computer fire up outlook, it will start the account set-up, cancel it and then close outlook (this creates the required folder for the files) Now just copy the files into the outlook folder that you extracted them from before.

LaterZ
    [​IMG]
    ^~^~^~^~~~Leftfield_2k2's Vidomi Settings Save File~~~^~^~^~^
    -- Idiots Guide To Making DVD Quality DivX's -- *UPDATED* {DNA 2k2 RELEASE}
    ^~^~^~^~~~Leftfield 2k2's DivX FAQ~~~^~^~^~^
    ^~^~^~^~~~Idiots Guide To DVD9 ---> DVD-R~~~^~^~^~^
    [​IMG]
    Leftfield_2k2

15. t_p

t_p

here's where the account settings are in registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice