Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backing up Outlook Express?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Sharon D 
#1 ·
Hi all

How do I back up all my mail that I have with OE please? I have to get a new HDD and would not like to lose all my old mail.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
This is from a MS Article that I typed out for you:

NOTE: Important! If you use Multiple Identities, you will need to repeat the following procedures for each separate Indentity.

Copying Mail Files to a Backup Folder:

To make a backup copy of your Outlook Express e-mail messages:

1.) The first thing to do is Right-click any empty space on your Desktop, click New, and then click Folder. Type Mail Backup for the folder name.
2.) Open up Outlook Express and on the toolbar up top click on Tools, then click on Options.
3.) Click on the Maintenance tab, then click on the button labeled Store Folder.
4.) Highlight the entire folder location that pops up, and then Right-click on the highlighted folder location and choose Copy.
5.) Click Cancel, and then click Cancel again to close the dialog box.
6.) Now, Click Start, and then click Run.
7.) In the Open box Right-click and choose Paste and then click OK.
8.) In the Outlook Express folder that pops up click on the Edit menu on the toolbar up top and choose Select All. Click on the Edit menu again and choose Copy, and then close the window.
9.) Finally, double Left-click the Mail Backup folder that you created on your Desktop to open it. Right-click in the open folder and choose Paste.
10.) Close the Mail Backup folder window. You have now backed up all your messages!

Exporting the Address Book to a File

NOTE: The individual data for each Identity is stored in a folder, by user name, within the .WAB file (Windows Address Book) in use.
Exporting this data, while logged in to a specific Identity, is the only means of segregating the Address Book data. If the .WAB file becomes dissociated from the user Identities, the data can only be exported in total - not folder by folder.

To export your Outlook Express address book:

1.) Open up Outlook Express and on the toolbar up top click on File then, click Export, and then choose Address Book.
2.) Highlight Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click on Export.
3.) Click Browse.
4.) Locate the Mail Backup folder that you created on your Desktop.
5.) In the File Name box, type address book backup, and then click Save.
6.) Click Next.
7.) Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to export, and then click Finish.
8.) Click OK and then click Close. Your Address Book is now backed up.

Exporting the Mail Account to a File:

To make a backup copy of your Outlook Express mail account:

1.) Open up Outlook Express and on the toolbar up top click on Accounts.
2.) On the Mail tab, click the mail account that you want to export, and then click Export.
3.) In the Save In box, locate the Mail Backup folder on your desktop, and then click Save.
4.) Repeat these steps for each mail account that you want to export.
5.) Click Close. Your Mail account is now backed up.

Importing Outlook Express data:

NOTE:
Before Importing your Data back into Outlook Express you may need to re-create the Identities for each User, prior to using the following steps. Repeat each step, as needed, for each Identity.

Importing Messages from the Backup Folder:

To import your Outlook Express e-mail messages from the Mail Backup folder:

1.) Open up Outlook Express and on the toolbar up top click on File, then click on Import, and then click Messages.
2.) In the "Select an e-mail program to import" from box, click Microsoft Outlook Express 5, and then click Next.
3.) Click Import mail from an OE5 store directory, and then click OK.
4.) Click Browse, and then click on the Mail Backup folder on your desktop.
5.) Click OK, and then click Next.
6.) Click All folders, click Next, and then click Finish.

Importing the Address Book File

To import your Outlook Express Address Book:

1.) Open up Outlook Express and on the toolbar up top click on File, then click on Import, and then click Other Address Book.
2.) Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Import.
3.) Click Browse.
4.) Locate the Mail Backup folder on your Desktop, click the address book Backup.csv file, and then click Open.
5.) Click Next, and then click Finish.
6.) Click OK, and then click Close.

Importing the Mail Account File:

To import your Outlook Express mail account file:

1.) Open up Outlook Express and on the toolbar up top click on Tools, then click on Accounts.
2.) On the Mail tab, click Import.
3.) In the Look In box, locate the Mail Backup folder on your Desktop.
4.) Click the mail account that you want to import (the .iaf file), and then click Open.
5.) Repeat these steps for each mail account that you want to import.
6.) Click Close.

I hope these instructions help you out. Good luck!

:) sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.