1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up over a T1...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WiFi-Guy, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WiFi-Guy

WiFi-Guy Thread Starter

Hello,

I am trying to get offsite backup going in my office but before I spend the money for hardware, I want to know whether or not it is going to be worth it to make the purchase. My office has a direct T1 (between offices) that is used during the day and free at night, so I am wanting to utilize that bandwith for my backups.

I keep hearing different figures on this so I thought I would put it out here. How much information will I successfully be able to send across that T1 in a night? Will I be able to back up 95Gb per night or is that reaching for the stars?

I would appreciate in input or experiences that relate.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Maybe with some really good compression, backup the file and then transport it. Just got to do some calculations... have you looked in to some sort of replication solution? Like Microsoft DPM? Replicate the changes as the happen? I have two point to point t1's in a MLPPP but we are not backing up over them yet. But I myself am looking at MS DPM.

3. WiFi-Guy

WiFi-Guy Thread Starter

I will look into that...If you find out anything interesting about it, let me know

Thanks!

4. WiFi-Guy

WiFi-Guy Thread Starter

I have thought about working replication but the problem there lies that during the day the T1 is being used for VoIP calls and if I were to steal some bandwith for the replication process, then we lose call quality or the whole call all together. I really don't think that is going to be an option for me. I plan on backing up to disk locally and then push a copy of that backup over the T1 for replication, but I can't really do realtime backups with our set up. Let me know what you think. ~Tim

5. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Our VoIP goes over ours too, we use QoS to make sure the VoIP traffic has the priority.

We do SQL Calls( have a chatty web app that chunks allot of data), VoIP, DNS, and authentication traffic still do not use our full pipe.

You can also throttle DPM replication speed. Also replistor (Has a SMB edition now I think) from EMC is good too. Used that at another location.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Well let me tell you this -

T1 has a max speed of 1.54Mbps this means a 1GB file would be about 1hr and 30 mins in IDEAL conditions.

95 GB is gonna take you about 142 hours so if you have a VERY long night I think you can make it..... *snicker* so even if you were running compression on 95GB you usually can get at best about 40% compression on a backup leaving you still about 100 hours.

I'ld say your asking for mircales above and beyond technology.

Memnoch32 is sterring you down the right path with replication probably being your best bet with data size this large.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/617393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice