Backing Up Programs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bmxgj

I have many programs, but do not have the original discs.

If i wanted to burn these incase my computer crashes or if i decide to format it, could I just drag the folder from the program files and burn it onto a cd? and have it run fine?.. please help

MysticEyes

Banned
No, except with some programs that aren't really installed in the usual Windows fashion. These programs will usually tell you to just unzip them into the folder of your choice.

bmxgj

like photosop, macromedia flash mx & dream weaver & image ready and more.. I could put all of the files in a zip and then have like 5 big zip files and put them on a data disc.. then if i wanted to put them back on i would drag the folder in the program files and it would work?

Miz

With very few exceptions, the program folder is only the tip of the iceberg. Installed programs scatter files they need to in order run pretty much all over the operating system, including registry entries. Therefore, saving just the folder will not save the program for reinstallation later. You will also need all its other files and its registry entries and then each will have to be replaced correctly in the new system.

In other words, if it can be done, it can't be done easily and I've never found a program that said it can migrate applications from one drive to another which can actually do it successfully.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts