1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backing up the registry

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by KrzyPrk, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk Thread Starter

hi

i'm running win98se. how do you backup the registry on to a floppy?
    thanks

2. markshark09

markshark09

to back up your registry
    copy system.dat and user.dat to your floppy
    found in the windows or windows\system directory. I am not sure which one exactly. I think it it windows

3. angel

angel

You can also do so by opening Registry Editor and choosing Registry>Export and choose All.
    If you want to copy the system.dat and user.dat files, make sure you boot to a command prompt and do so from there.

I doubt it's all going to fit on a floppy so you may need to use Winzip or some other program that will compress and span across multiple floppies.

4. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk Thread Starter

thanks guys

does this have to do w/ msdos? if so, can you give the the steps?

5. slipe

slipe

No DOS. Start>Run and type “regedit” without the quotes and enter. Then File>Export. Take it to a folder on your HD and have WinZip zip it and span floppies.

6. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk Thread Starter

thanks

will do tonight

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

You can also backup by doing
    Start > Run > SCANREGW

And a RBnnn.cab file will be created in \windows\sysbckup

Just out of curiousity, why do you want to take a copy of the registry to a floppy?

8. The DOS Machine

The DOS Machine

In my experience, copying user.dat and system.dat does not work. I copied the files and then later tried to copy them back(to fix a problem), but Windows said that the registry was invalid or corrupted or something and used a scanreg backup to restore the system. Also, regedit does not seem to work. All it does is merge your exported backup into the registry and does not restore the whole thing back to an earlier state.

Scanreg seems to be the only included method to backup and restore the registry.

-DOSMAN [​IMG]

9. slipe

slipe

Tell him how to get scanreg on floppies then.

10. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk Thread Starter

sorry for the late reply

bout the registry to the floppy...haha...i dunno really. I'm new w/ playing around w/ this registry. I just thought it would be safer to have it on a floppy. I guess there's no need to. :) :) :)

Oh, ever since i backed up my registry, i noticed that it created a "TMBackup" folder. ok...stupid question coming up.....

how do i get back to that registry?

11. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Don't know where the TMBackup folder came from, but it was not from running Scanreg, if that's how you did the backup.

If you run MSCONFIG, you will see a Scanreg entry in the startups. This task runs on the first boot of a day, and checks the structural integrity of the registry, and backs it up (along with system.ini and win.ini) to a RBnnn.cab folder under \sysbckup. There are 5 versions of reg files kept. (one for each of the last 5 days that you booted).

If you ever need to restore an old registry, you restart to DOS and enter
    Scanreg /Restore
    and choose the date.

Note: That if you ever do this, windows will loose the knowledge of any software installed since that date, along with any customization settings, etc that may have been made.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice