backing up the registry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KrzyPrk

hi

i'm running win98se. how do you backup the registry on to a floppy?
thanks

to back up your registry
copy system.dat and user.dat to your floppy
found in the windows or windows\system directory. I am not sure which one exactly. I think it it windows

You can also do so by opening Registry Editor and choosing Registry>Export and choose All.
If you want to copy the system.dat and user.dat files, make sure you boot to a command prompt and do so from there.

I doubt it's all going to fit on a floppy so you may need to use Winzip or some other program that will compress and span across multiple floppies.

KrzyPrk

thanks guys

does this have to do w/ msdos? if so, can you give the the steps?

No DOS. Start>Run and type “regedit” without the quotes and enter. Then File>Export. Take it to a folder on your HD and have WinZip zip it and span floppies.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
You can also backup by doing
Start > Run > SCANREGW

And a RBnnn.cab file will be created in \windows\sysbckup

Just out of curiousity, why do you want to take a copy of the registry to a floppy?

In my experience, copying user.dat and system.dat does not work. I copied the files and then later tried to copy them back(to fix a problem), but Windows said that the registry was invalid or corrupted or something and used a scanreg backup to restore the system. Also, regedit does not seem to work. All it does is merge your exported backup into the registry and does not restore the whole thing back to an earlier state.

Scanreg seems to be the only included method to backup and restore the registry.

-DOSMAN

KrzyPrk

Originally posted by WhitPhil
You can also backup by doing
Start > Run > SCANREGW

And a RBnnn.cab file will be created in \windows\sysbckup

Just out of curiousity, why do you want to take a copy of the registry to a floppy?
sorry for the late reply

bout the registry to the floppy...haha...i dunno really. I'm new w/ playing around w/ this registry. I just thought it would be safer to have it on a floppy. I guess there's no need to. :) :) :)

Oh, ever since i backed up my registry, i noticed that it created a "TMBackup" folder. ok...stupid question coming up.....

how do i get back to that registry?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Don't know where the TMBackup folder came from, but it was not from running Scanreg, if that's how you did the backup.

If you run MSCONFIG, you will see a Scanreg entry in the startups. This task runs on the first boot of a day, and checks the structural integrity of the registry, and backs it up (along with system.ini and win.ini) to a RBnnn.cab folder under \sysbckup. There are 5 versions of reg files kept. (one for each of the last 5 days that you booted).

If you ever need to restore an old registry, you restart to DOS and enter
Scanreg /Restore
and choose the date.

Note: That if you ever do this, windows will loose the knowledge of any software installed since that date, along with any customization settings, etc that may have been made.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online