1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up then using in different OS

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Blakes7, Apr 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Hi! A friend has a computer running XP. The computer is about 10 years old, so it's going to go soon, not to mention that it's soooo slow. He's not very computer literate, so I figure the best OS I could put on a computer for him is Windows 7 as it's close to XP without much of a learning curve. I've picked out a nice computer for him, but it comes with a SATA3 hard drive. His current drive is HDE. He needs to keep the software programs he has on it and the data in them. What can I use to copy/backup these programs so they will be usable in the new OS? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Be aware you can't simply transfer installed programs from a Windows XP hard drive to a Windows 7 hard drive.
    They need to be reinstalled in the Windows 7 hard drive.
    Hopefully, all of his programs are compatible with and will work with Windows 7.

You didn't say if you're getting him a Windows 7 32-bit or Windows 7 64-bit computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. It would be Windows 7 64 bit. I forgot to mention, I was hoping to copy/backup to a CD or DVD disk as I think one or the other will fit what he has on his drive. I was thinking I could copy/back up all the programs, then hope he has the program disks, then copy all the files to the program directory, excluding the exe file. Would this work? Thanks.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    95+% of my programs that were in 32-bit Windows also work in 64-bit Windows, so he may be okay with most or all of his programs.
    It's not that simple. When programs are installed, they write entries and commands to the registry.
    If he has the install discs for those programs, then all you need to do is install them.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I've looked through his computer, and asked him about the programs he has. There's nothing he can't live without. So this turned out to be merely academic. The computers I'm looking at---which would be from a reputable dealer that I've purchased computers from before---both for myself and others and have had no problems, have a 3 year warranty, and you can customize them. They have a great rating on ResellersRatings.com. I'm deciding on whether to go dual core or quad core. I don't think it'll make any difference since he's not a multi-tasker. It might be worth the small difference in price to get the dual core. Thanks.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I stopped buying new computers over 8 years ago and only buy refurbished Windows 7 64-bit computers now.
    I recently bought a Dell OptiPlex 7010 minitower with an Intel Core i5-3570 3.40 GHz quad-core processor and 8 GB of DDR3-1600 RAM for only $302.00.
    I would've bought a second one, but it sold out.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice