1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backing up to cd

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tony007, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tony007

tony007 Banned Thread Starter

I've used acronis true image and made a backup folder of my c:\drive called 'my backup' I have been trying to put this on cd when I try to send it to drive d:\ I get a message Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file.What do you want windows to do. I get the same message when I try to drag 'my backup' onto drive d:\ . I have tried dragging it onto my external hard drive I get a message saying there is not eneogh free disk space delete one or more files and try again. I've got 250 gb of space on my external hard drive I wish these messages would say what they really mean. Can anyone help. Thanks.

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I may be wrong, and I apologize if I am, but why aren't you using the Acronis menu? I have an external HDD that I connect when I want to make a weekly backup of my total system. I have to click on it under "My Computer" and put it in minimize mode for it to appear under "My Computer" in the Acronis menu of locations to which to send a backup. Then I am ready to work thru the backup routine, indicating the external HDD as the recipient. {redoak}

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Is that the size of the drive or the size of the free space? How big is the backup?

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

What file system are you using on your hard drive and external drive?

5. Squashman

Good call prunedjuice. I forgot about mentioning the 4gb file size limitation on fat32 partitions. But since here external drive is 250gb, it would have to be NTFS. I dont think you can make a FAT32 partition that size. The user also has to realize that a cd is only 700mb.

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

You don't know that the user formatted the external drive as NTFS, only that they have a 250GB drive in an external enclosure.

I've seen stranger things happen.

7. tony007

I dont actually know how big my backup folder is how would I find this out? I dont think it will be more than 1 gb though. Redoak could you explain a bit more how you actually do what you do. What do you mean by put it in minimise mode and how do you do that ? My c:\drive on this computer is fat 32 and my external drive is the same. What I really want to do is to save my backup to an external drive on this computer and on my other computer to a flash drive or if this is'ent big eneough to a dvd. Another question I have is would it be possible to save both computers backup to my external hard drive? My external drive is new I have not formatted it yet but it recommends when I do to format in ntfs I just plugged it into usb and it seems to work all right so I wont be formatting for a good while yet. Free space at the moment on my external drive is 232 gb the drive size is 250gb. I know a cd is only 700 mb but I thought I may be able to use more than one but if not I think it may be possible to save to dvd or is it? One more question when I eventually format my external drive with my c:\drive being fat32 will it be ok to format my external drive in ntfs. Thanks

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have created single FAT32 partitions on 250gig drives using Partition Magic. I didn't keep it, since I prefer NTFS, just did it to see if it's possible. :)

9. JohnWill

I think you need to tell us what the properties of the True Image file are, as well as how the external disk is formatted, FAT32 or NTFS.

10. tony007

Hi JohnWill in my last reply 5th line down I did same my c: and external drive are both fat32. I dont know what you mean when you ask what the properties of the true image file are. when I right click on the true image file I get the size of my download file which is 17gb which I dont believe. Could you elaborate a little.Thanks. I have managed to save my download folder to cd and to my external hard drive.

11. Squashman

That cannot possibly be right. Fat32 cannot handle 17gb files.

12. JohnWill

If you have a file that claims to be 17gig on a FAT32 volume, that's the problem. That's impossible, since FAT32 files can be a maximum of 4gigs.

Why are you using NTFS if you run XP? Unless you're using a dual-boot, or want to use that external on a W98/WME machine, there's no reason to go with FAT32.

13. pc_doctor

pc_doctor

Whats a quicker partition NTFS or FAT 32 - i heard FAT 32 is quicker but NTFS is alot safer.
    What do you say about this?

14. tony007

When I got my pc it was fat 32 same with my external hard drive everything seemed to be working fine so I never bothered changing to ntfs. My other pc is ntfs they are both working ok so if its not broke why fix it.

15. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

To minimize any "window" you click the 'minus' sign in the very top, right of your screen. That puts a "reference" in the "task bar" across the bottom of the screen. You bring the screen back to full display by left clicking the "reference." A right click will bring up a menu, and provides a quick way to close the window without bringing it back up.

Both my drives are FAT32 formatted, because I intend to work with Linux OSes in the future. The internal drive has four partitions and the external two.

Having a system backup on a second INTERNAL HDD is not wise, because if the power supply goes down neither will function. As I mentioned, my external HDD is NOT regularly connected to power nor computer; only when I am making a backup image with Acronis or a file(s) backup or storage of a seldom used file(s) to the second partition.

Except for having to discover the need to 'activate' and minimize the external HDD, working thru a backup with Acronis was not difficult, even for me. I will try to provide step by step instructions, if you need them.

{redoak}

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/421747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice