1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up to DVD

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by powella, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. powella

powella Thread Starter

My client is a small organisation made up of 8 people and I need to advise them of a backup process for their PC's. I have only ever dealt with backing up on a large scale (like a Government dept) where they use tapes to backup data from the servers.

Can you guys recommend a method of backing up on a smaller scale? The way I'm heading is towards using the Windows Backup feature each Wednesday & Friday night after the user goes home but this will require the user to leave their PC running on these nights and using a scheduled task to run the back up program.I then need to burn the backed up data to DVD and shutdown the computer afterwards.

Can anyone recommend a (preferably free) program that can do this all in one? Or, even another option for backing up the data on these 8 PC's. (Note; they are not on a network yet.)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I'd forget about the DVD's and buy each one of them a small USB drive. Even better, get then networked.

FWIW, Acronis True Image is well worth the $30, you can automatically schedule an image backup with it for any time you like. If this is just data backups, you can use the excellent and free Cobian Backup. In any case, I'd deep-six the DVD idea and use USB disks. If the backups are small enough, even USB FLASH drives might do the trick, they're available in 4gig capacities, and you get to use them forever. :D You can also put your backup in your pocket...

3. powella

powella Thread Starter

While the USB flash drive IS a great idea, I feel they are going to be too small to save all the required data. There will be backups of Access databases (which as we know can get rather large) and numerous other information.

Cobain backup looks great but isn't similar to the Windows backup anyway?

Networking them is not an option at the moment - althought it would make things SOOO much easier...

4. JohnWill

Well, you could use Windows backup, and it can be scheduled. Cobian is much easier to configure and use, and I'm lazy. ;) As to the size of the data, only you can determine that parameter. If the data were small enough, the FLASH drives are basically indestructable. USB hard disks are pretty cheap nowadays, I suspect something plenty big for the task can be had for less than $100 easily.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I totally agree with JohnWill on this. Not much to add. Cobain backup can compress the backups. Test it out buy just backuping up to your hard drive first to see what size the backup will be. Then you can make a decision on if you want to buy USB flash drives or USB hard drives. Or a third option. Removeable hard drive trays. That is what I use in my server.

6. JohnWill

Well, while I use removable hard disks here, they're a bit more trouble than a USB disk. You have to power down to remove them. One attribute of USB drives is that your backup is totally disconnected from the machine as a rule, much less change of corruption of the backups. :) A backup that's R/W and on-line all the time runs a greater risk of being corrupted or lost by either a hardware malfunction or malware/virus infections.

7. powella

powella Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been away. :)

Anyway, back to the topic. I have since found a great little program called 'Zip Backup to CD' which does exactly what i want it to do. It backs-up & burns direct to CD/DVD & you can run a scheduled backup at anytime. Has anyone had any experience with this program and what are your thoughts on it? So far so good but I have only been using it for a few hours now. :)

8. JohnWill

Never tried it, just make sure the backups are readable after you're done writing the CD/DVD.

9. powella

powella Thread Starter

Yep. Tried and tested. I did a dummy backup of some files on my PC here (being work) and then restored them just to make sure it would work properly. All is good so far. Might even adopt this program on my home computer since i have no backup process in place (naughty, I know!!) :eek:

10. JohnWill

See my signature line. :rolleyes:

11. powella

powella Thread Starter

I know! I actually read that after I posted. It's typical though. I advise all my clients, friends, family & whoever else I come across to make sure they backup everything and here's me who doesn't backup anything! I'm not too bad though. I do have an external hard drive which I keep everything on but it does sit next to my computer so in the case of a fire, etc, it'd be gone too. :rolleyes:

12. JohnWill

Do you have copies of all the stuff on the external drive? Backup is a copy, not the original. ;)

13. powella

powella Thread Starter

Good point. Photos - yes. I keep burn them to CD every time I upload them to the computer but as for the rest, nope. Just the originals on the ext. HD. i should learn to practice what I preach... :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/458577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice