1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up Win 7 to disks: What should disks look like when done?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by NZGirl, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    My other computer with Win 7 Pro has died, and I didn't have any back up disks or recovery disks.
    I realised I needed to back up this laptop that runs Win 7 home edition.
    I went to the back up bit via the control panel and picked the 'let windows choose what to back up' as clearly I haven't got the knowledge to pick and choose what to back up.

My understanding was that choosing this will back up everything on the laptop. All my photos, videos and files etc, along with the operating system.

I had lots of DVD disks so decided to use them. The back up started then it told me it needed to format the disk. I let it do that. I also picked at the beginning to back up data as opposed to videos. So away it goes. Anyway 9 hours later and 8 DVD disks later it tells me windows had finished the back up successfully bar one file. I look at what that file is and it's just some old folder of mine with probably nothing in it. It didn't look important.

Today I put the disks in the lap top to see if I could see my folders of photos etc. But all I can see is this (Pic attached) all the disks have this on them. When looking at the properties of the disks they are all totally full.

Is this normal? Is this what it is meant to look like. How do you use the disks? I'm too scared to click anything in case I do something wrong.
    Please advise, thanks so much. Disk 3 All disk say exactly the same.JPG

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 8028 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, -209 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 286 GB (189 GB Free);
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, KSWAA
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice