1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backing up windows help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dude21, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dude21

Dude21 Thread Starter

hi, how do you make a backup copy of windows and everything on your computer (C:\ dirve)?

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

what version of windows do you have?

3. Dude21

Dude21 Thread Starter

xp (home, i think.... I know its not pro)

4. BTS '76

BTS '76

ok, the back up utility is not installed on xp home edition, you have to manually do it. Which you'll need your windows xp cd.

Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM to start a wizard that installs Backup:
    CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP

When the wizard is complete, click Finish.

after the backup utility is installed, you start it by going to:

start|all programs|accessories|system tools|backup

use the backup wizard to save everything for you.

ps. creating a restore point is also a good idea, if your worried about loosing data.

5. forsy

forsy

tried that- trouble is it wont back up to your cd writer so u have to use A drive or a usb which havent got the capacity unless u have a large external drive -assume u can get some expensive software which will work but cost lots of money! if i'm wrong please let me know

6. Dude21

Dude21 Thread Starter

I dont have the windows disk - so is there another way I can do a backup of everything? what would i have to do - copy my whole C dirve into a CD?

7. forsy

forsy

thats correct-try google theres other software u might want to try-why do u want to back up dont forget u have a restore point in xp

8. Dude21

Dude21 Thread Starter

ok and thanks forsy :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice