1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up XP on old machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by airforceone, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. airforceone

airforceone Thread Starter

I have an old sluggish machine that runs XP. I do not have the system disks or operating system disks that came with this computer. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to back up the operating system onto an external hard drive so I can defrag the computer to hopefully get it running more smoothly, and then use that back up to reinstall the original operating system onto the unit.

Thanks ahead for any suggestions on this.

Advanced Happy Holidays to all.

Regards/

AF1

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Yes it is - what hard drive do you know
    Go start programs accessories system tools system info
    expand to disks as shown and post the info on model for the hard disk
    see my screenshot

Attached Files:

3. airforceone

airforceone Thread Starter

Do u mean the hard drive that is on the computer or the external hard drive I want to use for backing up?

4. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

He means the Hard Drive in the PC. NOT the external one

5. raybro

raybro

If I read the original poster correctly, the answer to his question is NO... If he creates a backup on an external drive, defrags the internal drive then restores the backup... The internal drive would then be returned to the condition it was in when the back up was created. That is... before the defrag.

My next point... Why be hesitant to run a defrag of the internal drive without a backup. I've never had a defrag process cause any kind of problem which would cause fatal harm to the OS. Can't hurt to have a backup ever, but not for a defrag of the HDD.

Aside from that, I would hazard to guess there is more going on to slow down his system then is fixable with a simple defrag anyway.
    A HiJackThis (HJT) scan might prove helpful in gaining some understanding about what is going on. Download HJT here, install it to its default location shut down all open programs then click the "Scan my system and save a log file" button. The log file with be displayed in Notepad. Copy the entire log file and paste it into a reply to this thread.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING. Wait for one of the authorized HJT log file experts to review your log file and provide recommendations.

Raybro

6. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

raybro
    You are of course quite right. How I missed the defrag to put back what it was before the defrag I do not know. I must have read backup only.

AirForce one.
    You can if course post the HiJack log, but you could START here, see how it is then and if still slow, then post the HiJack. This will enable you to commence your start on the right lines at your convenience.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/maintain/improveperf.mspx

If it will ever be any better depends on how it was with XP originally. If the ram is less than 512MB really but certainly 256Mb, then XP will never, with other programs run quickly. 128Mb is the abosolute minimum for XP alone.
    Add Photo programs, Office software and a few others and you can treat 256MB as the MINIMUM.
    If the computer is very old you need to look at the processor speed. 1.2Ghz is about the minimum.
    Go start, right click the My computer entry, click properties and on the window that opens on the General tab, it will show you ram and processor.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    What is the Make n Model number of the Ole Machine ??
    It there a sticker on it somewhere with the XP Produce code ??
    Are you on Vacation in Hawaii right now ??

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Submit a HiJackThis log here, as requested in post #5, so we can see what's auto-loading and running in the background.

A bloated startup load will reduce speed and performance.

Advise what the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer is, as requested in post #7.

How much RAM does it have?

How large is the hard drive and how much free space does it have?

A lack of RAM and a too-full hard drive will also reduce speed and performance.

---------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice