1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing Up XP???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gurbleeek, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gurbleeek

gurbleeek Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I have a Compaq desktop that came with genuine xp pre-installed. However, it did not come with a system recovery disc.
    Having had to re-format my laptop after my stepson infected it with a vinut (infecting all .exe/.scr & zip files ) I am worried in case something similar happens to my desktop.
    So here's the question...... is there a way to make a recovery disc or to copy my operating system to disc so that, if required, I can rescue my system?
    Thanks for any help you can give me.:

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I have a HP .. but there should be a similar procedure in a Compaq for making your own recovery CD/DVDs.

Find the tool and follow the instructions ..

Attached Files:

3. sg4tech

sg4tech

Norton Ghost Utility can make a image of ur total O/S including ur installed programs.It is a file named ghost.exe.but it can only work if u have at least 2 drives (C Drive and D Drive).

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Other than Norton Ghost … for making a backup “Image” of your “system” …
    The most popular method here at TSG - is Acronis True Image and an External Hard Drive.
    Acronis is cheaper, easier to use .. and is more reliable than Norton Ghost
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    The trail DL is fully functional for 15 days.

More users have problems with Ghost .. Than Acronis.

But having the recovery CD/DVDs is Very Important.
    After a while .. Compaq will quit making them ..
    And you’ll have no way to recover back to the factory supplied state if the HDD crashes.

If you have an external Hard drive .. or plan on getting one ..
    Here's some free Drive Imaging suggestions ..
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you go to the HP site under downloads and support and put in your model number and choose OS, in with the downloads is the ability to buy system recovery disks for about $20 including freight and since HP tends to not go too far out with support on their units
    (last year the ended support for all drivers for Windows 98 and Me), I would buy them now while you can.

6. Tbird885

Tbird885

I wasted a lot of time making images with True Image and Paragon software, bottom line is when it came to the crunch neither was able to restore a working partition. I had all kinds of problems with BSOD etc.

Then I found Macrium Reflect. It works perfectly, every time. You can DL a free version which is fully functional for partition backup and restore, the paid-for version does not offer a great deal more for me.

It is possible to create a bootable rescue CD from within the application.
    I am amazed how Acronis and Paragon get away with selling stuff which just does not work.

7. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Noyb,
    Many appreciations for posting an excellent article on imaging to an EXTN.HDD. Thanks a lot!

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    gurbleeek:

If the HP/Compaq site no longer has the recovery kit for your Compaq, go here and enter the model name and model number and see if the site has the recovery kit available for sale.

Usually after a year or so of releasing a new model, HP/Compaq no longer has the recovery kit for sale.

You didn't mention what model name and model number your Compaq is, so I couldn't check for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Huh???I have used and beta tested for Acronis through 6 versions in the last 7 years and never failed to restore an image file. You must have had hardware issues as Acronis will not work if there is the slightest thing wrong with a hard drive.

10. Tbird885

Tbird885

The same thing occured to me, but the PC is rock solid reliable.

I can only speak from my own personal experience, I am using the same hardware now and the True Image restore would produce a BSOD or other fault every time. Macrium reflect just works. I tested various applications extensively, figuring that it's best to find out in a controlled way whether these things work before it's too late.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

gurbleeek:
    We've gone a little astray from you original question .. and before you get confused with this other method ....
    See If you can make your own recovery CD/DCVDs .. And let us know the model number of the Compaq.

What you do next will depend on your answer.

12. gurbleeek

gurbleeek Thread Starter

Hi Noyb,
    Thanks for all your info ( and all the others that have posted ).
    My computer is a Compaq Evo 2.4GHz Pentium 4.
    I looked in the programs list and found no evidence of any HP software so I guess, as I bought the computer 2nd hand, that at some point it has been formatted and installed with just XP rather than the HP software suite. I did however find a back up utility called ASR Wizard in [Programs>Accesories>System Tools>Back Up> Advanced.
    The Automated System Recovery Wizard says it wil "Create a 2 part back up of your system: A floppy disk that has your system settings and other media that contains a back up of you local system partition." .... would this be any good for what I need or does it just copy files and not your o/s.
    The imaging software you mentioned ould be a way forward however, after foillowing you excellent link, it appears that I would require an original disc to make the image bootable ( or is it just me reading it wrong ). and as I stated in the original question< I have no disc, just he software already in the computer.
    Thanks again for any help forthcoming.
    Gurble eek

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

2nd hand ???? ... There may be a problem here.
    If the mother board has been changed .. the compaq recovery CD/DVDs will not work.
    Most likeky .. Someone has installed a copy of Windows .. NOT the OEM Compaq version.
    Then it would not contain the Compaq supplied applications or the Compaq recovery partition.
    It sounds like this is what you have.

I have an Bay HP .. That came with a replaced XP system ,, and some internal parts.
    The first thing I did was make an Acroins back up copy.
    But the seller was able to give me the M$ product code of his windows install.

I'm not familiar with any of the applications you mentioned.

We need the Compaq model number.
    Is there a sticker on the side of the case somewhere .. that shows the product code of the Windows system installed ??
    Do you have an External Hard Drive ??

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

PS .. Acronis can make it's own bootable recovery CD.
    Run the computer from the CD .. and recover the computer from a backup image in an external HDD

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You might want to install this .. and find your windows product code ..
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

This will NOT work if you have the OEM Compaq Windows install ... the product code will be wrong.
    It will be the code Compaq used for the factory install .. not the one assigned to your computer ..
    That code should be listed on a sticker somewhere.

It will work (I Think) if someone has replaced your system install.
    I'd write this produce code down somewhere .. Just in case

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice