1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tense, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tense

Tense Thread Starter

I have formatted my old hdd which is slave to my system hdd, a SATA 120Gb hdd. It was suggested I back up my main current hdd to the old hdd. What files specifically should I be looking at to back up? The old hdd is 19Gb and I also want to use it to store my digital camera photos.

2. moebius

moebius

a full backup includes the whole drive, possibly even a HD image.

i usually backup my documents, music, photos, videos and important files to CDRW
    if u do backup to another hdd, do not keep it connected to ur pc, keep it safe

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Well, if you are backing up a 120 to a 20, you obviously don't have the space for the OS and all programs.

Back up whatever there is you cannot replace by reloading programs--pictures, letters, bank account file, etc.

4. Tense

Tense Thread Starter

Thanks Alex and Mobius,
    I will only back up whats important. I wasn't planning on backing up the whole 120GB.
    Tense

5. raybro

raybro

The best backup program I've used is Norton Ghost. It can create a backup image of your OS on the slave drive so it can be fully rstored to the master drive. You can also burn the backup image to CD.

It will only backup what is on the drive. Presumably, you do not have the 120g drive filled completely.

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

Since you can't do a one for one backup then you're really just looking at files that you need or want. Copying installation folders like Word or a game is useless since if you have to re-build your drive the entire application has to be installed fresh in order for the registry to be updated.

The exception to this is an app folder like WS-FTP which I'll use for an example. WS-FTP is a File Transfer Protocol application that store addresses and login names and passwords so you can upload or download files to other's servers.

You'd still have to install WS_FTP to get it registered but once you install it you would overwrite the folder from your backup so all your entries would be right back where they were before the drive failure.

Does that make sense?

I do the same with my AT&T connection folder so I don't have to recreate the wheel each time I re-format.

You could also make a copy of the user.dat and system.dat files, basically that's your registry. The only problem is that if you don't remember to back them up each time you make changes to your system it's pretty much useless.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/177544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice