1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by harrison1cat, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harrison1cat

harrison1cat Thread Starter

Had a major crash and lost loads of data a few weeks ago so now have new system and invested in a one touch Maxtor 100g external hard drive. I have done a back up already, but can anybody tell me when i do more back ups do they just override the one before or does the disk fill up with multiple back ups.
    Cheers

2. colmaca

colmaca

I think it would depend what program is used to back up, if it removes old backups before applying new ones. I use Cobian Backup It's free and very good for what I need.

http://www.cobian.se/

I only back up to my hard drive and burn to dvd every week or so. But I think it will go to external hard drive and it removes old backups.

3. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Casper XP 3.0 will add and backup only the new data that has changed since your last backup while leaving all the unchanged data the way it was. Does a great job with no errors and makes backing up a hard drive very fast as it does not have to backup all the data on your hard drive after it's first use.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I also use Cobian backup, it allows you to have generations of your backup, so you can reach back in time and grab a file that's been deleted for a month or so. (y)

For key data, you might also consider an on-line backup service. I'm currently trying Carbonite On-line Backup, and so far it's pretty slick. You just tag the files/folders you want backed up, and it does them in the background when the machine isn't busy. For critical data, it gives you that all important off-site backup. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/494433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice