1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing Up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jess dee, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jess dee

jess dee Thread Starter

Hi everyone

I have never backed up my home computer--Never done any in my life.. Yes i know it will be a daunting task--but somebody has to do it.

I have CDRW functionality

Which disk do you think I should use?--the CDR or the CDRW?

If I back up to the CDR disk--I wont be able to do subsequent back ups to it --will I?--because everything on the CDR will become permanent wont it?

If I use the CDRW disk--the backup data may/could get erased accidently-wont/could it?

I don't have ZIP DRIVE

Taking into consideration that i have:

16 GB
    2.45 used
    13.4 free

How many CDR's or CDRW's do you think i will need to have ready to do a backup.

I have Microsoft back up system on my computer

Thanks everyone

jess

[email protected]:)

2. bigh47

bigh47

Jess- I tried to do this recently on W98 using back up command but unfortunately it will not span the CDs as it does not have a burner as an option. I expect some one else
    will probably have a method which prompts to wonder " why didn't I ask this question?"

Howard

3. jess dee

jess dee Thread Starter

Thanks Howard

I have been thinking about this for months--i just don't know how to go about it--If you run across any info on ""Backing Up" with CDr--or CDRw's please let me know guy--

thanks

jess:)

4. slipe

slipe

Target has 30 TDK CDRs (16X, 700 Mb) on a spindle for $8 – no rebates to fool with. Buy a couple of spindles and stash your RWs away for learning and troubleshooting. CompUSA has 100 Imation CDRs in slimline cases for $10 after rebates. You can’t buy the cases for $10. You have to float $60 for the rebate until it comes in. Both TDK and Imation are quality brands.

There are several philosophies on back-up.

Some people like to use a program like Norton Ghost or Powerquest Drive Image to make a compressed copy of the entire HD. Both programs will make the backup bootable and span CDs for you. You can use this as a restore disc. Format the HD and install the ghost image and the computer is back exactly like it was when you made the image. They both have an explorer that lets you get at specific files and extract them.

Others like to selectively back up anything they think might be important. This is normally done with regular mastering software using multi-session. With multi-session you close the session so you can read what is on the disc but leave the disc open so you can add more sessions.

I use both. I have a boot partition that just has my operating system and programs. I ghost that. Everything else on my computer is just written to CDR. I find it easier to get at that way.

For my first backup I put everything that was on my hard drive except the OS and programs in folders of about 680Mb. There were 5 of them. I burned the files to individual CDs.

Now everything new goes in the Download and My Documents folders on the C drive. OE is set to store my e-mail in the Download folder. Occasionally I copy everything form these two folders to a folder named “Backup 18Jan02” I export my favorites to this folder and burn it multi-session to my current back-up CD. Then I move everything but the mail that is in the folders to my permanent My Documents and Download folders on another drive. Now my “temporary” My Documents and Download are empty again. I always know anything in these two folders needs backing up. Backup now requires no thought (important for me), and I never miss anything.

I just gave my system as an example. Everyone does it differently based on their needs. People who back up large amounts of stuff daily use RW. Most other people use CDR.

If you don’t make a bootable ghost, there is no reason to back up your operating system or programs. Both need to be reinstalled and can’t really be backed up. That probably doesn’t leave two full CDs full of stuff if you back up everything else on your computer. Just COPY everything to a backup folder. When it is near the limit of the capacity of your CDs start a new one. After you get everything into the folders burn them. Check that they recorded OK and then delete the backup folders on the HD.

You could probably get everything on your HD on two compressed CDs using a ghost image.

Your problem from that point would be to organize your stuff so you know what hasn’t been backed up. I think the new Nero has a function that will just write everything that has been changed since you last backed up. I don’t use Nero so I can’ comment on doing it that way.

I can link you to a reasonably inexpensive source for Ghost if you want to try it that way.

5. Rep

Rep

jess dee - Welcome to TSG

A couple of weeks ago I picked up Norton Ghost. I was probably in the same place as you say you are in. Never done nothing, know I should and overwhelmed. Ghost worked very well for me and it spanned my CD's.

slipe - Thanks for the time you put into that explanation. You provided a number of good points with sound advice. A reason that jess dee will find to return to this board as I have.

6. jess dee

jess dee Thread Starter

Slipe and Rep

Thanks guys--I really appreciate your response about backing up-

Slipe you really put it out there guy- Very nice detailing -thanks.

But --know what?? As i mentioned in my profile I'm kinda a newbie about this stuff

Your post is an excellent and comprehensive reply to my original post- and I'm very appreciative but I'm afraid that backing up is more complicated than i thought..

I dunno ?--Mentally,I had the concept that all one has to do is slip in the correct medium -(CDR or CDRW ) and just follow the backup wizard- instructions .. I see now i was soooooo wrong--It would require more expertise than I have at this time.

In the past I have dragged some mp3's and pics and other stuff to some CDRW's At least I have those saved---I may do more later on-

-Yep I know this is a little infantile -and not the correct way to do it and is awkward. But its the only way i know..So I'll live with it until I learn more about Backing Up.

I have a book here about backing up- Holds your hand through the process-but it doesn't mention the medium to use--CDRW--or CDR-- just says tape drive is best--But now i know --because you said the CDR is a better to use -THAN CDRW

Cant one write to the CDR ?--without burning the info? --but then If one does that ,when one wants to perform an incremental backup-the CDR wont give up the stored info would it.? See i told you i am a newbie.

Thanks guys

jess

:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice