1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dr.Sarcasm, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dr.Sarcasm

Dr.Sarcasm Thread Starter

I just purchased an external Harddrive, I have a couple of questions on backing up my system.

First off, I want to know if it's possible (with any freeware programs preferably) to back up the entire content of my C drive, so it will work, in the case windows crashes.

Secondly, if I do back it up like that, would it be possible to say...remove programs from my PC, and if I need them, access them from the external hard drive? If not I need to do two-seperate types of backups. Because part of it was I'm attempting to clear space on my C drive, not just back it up.

Also, if it is possible to do both, can I do it two seperate PCs on the same external HDD? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Falcon007

Falcon007

Windows comes with a backup program in Start ----> Programs ----> Accessories ----> System Tools, that can back up all the contents of your C: drive and you can put the file on your external hard drive. The program will create a backup file and if you ever need to restore that, just run the same program and instead of backup system, there is an option to restore files and settings.

What kind of programs are you wanting to access from your external hard drive?

3. The_JinJ

The_JinJ

Have a look at http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/
    Backup the entire disk/partition to your external drive

What I would do is backup all the data to clear space, tidy the install (or reinstall), take an image when happy (with all the apps installed) so I can revert to a nice fast, clean system when needed.

You can install apps on the external drive but if you lose the system drive or do a fresh install they will be useless anyway.....

4. Dr.Sarcasm

Dr.Sarcasm Thread Starter

I don't plan to format my C drive soon, so if I load everything onto the external and access it from THIS PC, such as programs and the such, since it's in my registry I'm assuming it will run? Falcon, wouldn't that require me to have windows to restore the files anyways?

I essentially want to back up everything on my external HDD and have the ability to use it as a "boot disk" if Windows gets corrupt or something. But aside from that, I ALSO want to use it to get a bunch of crap off of my C drive.

I'm reading the clonezilla now..but assuming I take an image of my drive as is, say I reformatted, and used that image to load back up..would all my programs, music, etc be on there? Or will only the essential windows files be accessible?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

That Nt Backup is only defaulted in XP Pro. In Home it is on the cd if you have one and can be installed, but it is flawed or incomplete in that you have to install XP and then import the backup file to restore and it has no ability to do anything to restore a dead hard drive.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

No you would have to install your programs to that drive again, you cannot just move them or "access" them.
    While you would have to set your bios to boot to usb drive, it likely won't work anyway. The function of an external drive is to hold a backup file and restore it when needed.

An image file of a drive would contain everything on it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/685766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice