1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backing-up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gottadance4, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gottadance4

gottadance4 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Last month I made back-up copies of my files, I had 3 cd's. Today I wanted to update the cd's. When I went into backup & restore program, I selected backup, and inserted disk 1, instead of it updating the info, it asked me for blank cd's. The backup took all day!!!! and when I inserted disk #6, it stops, says it's not formatted and that was it. I need some how to's concerning backing up. Thanks :eek:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the CDs aren't rewritable, they can't be reused.

3. gottadance4

gottadance4 Thread Starter

Thank's, I wish I would have know that before I wasted all these cd's! What brand should I be looking for? Can I find them at Wal-Mart?

4. bluraycus

bluraycus

CD-RW CD+RW or DVD-RW DVD+RW DL (Dual Layer) Theses are the recordable media to use to backup. The (RW) stands for rewritable. DVD+or-RW's are 4.7GB's of storage, but the DVD+or-RWs also come in Dual layer which can store up to 8.5GB's. I'm sure most commonly used are CD+or-RW or DVD+or-RW's. Yes you can pick these discs up at walmart.

Hope this helps :)
    Bluraycus

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

In order to rewrite over existing files on optical disks, they have to be formatted in a certain way first. The combination of using rewritable disks and the special formatting can lead to unstable disks and an unreliable backup set.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice