1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backlit monitor vs a non backlit monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slickrick214, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Slickrick214

Slickrick214 Thread Starter

I'm in the middle of looking for a new monitor. The one we have now is a 17" inch LCD from the early 2000's. Obviously it just can't compete with todays monitors it uses a old VGA connection and only goes 1280X1024 which isn't even close to high def. So here are my questions:

What is the difference between a backlit monitor and a non backlit monitor?

Does a higher contrast ratio mean you will get a better picture

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    All LCD monitors are backlit.
    The newer LED backlights should last longer.
    A higher contrast ratio will yield a higher contrast picture.
    The pixel count will be the resolution.

It will take a 22 inch wide screen monitor to yield about the same viewing height as a 17 inch normal aspect ratio monitor.

3. Slickrick214

Ok. How come some computer screens are very shiney reflective and other are matte and non reflective? I really don't want the shiney screen I hate that you can see everything like a mirror.

4. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
  5. Slickrick214

When it says glossy like that example from New Egg are they talking about the bezel, the screen or both?

6. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    The Screen (I think) .. Almost all of them have Shiney Bezels ...
    This One has a matte screen and bezel .. The specs are wrong .. It's a 50,000:1 Contrast .. (I have two of them)

7. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    This One is the 20,000:1 contrast ratio .. But they are not the LED backlit .. darn it.
    Maybe after Christmas there'll be newer ones out with Matte screens, Bezels and LED backlights.

I've had bad luck with the florescent backlights .. But Samsung's warranty is fantastic ..
    They replaced them no charge .. Even the shipping back to Samsung was free.

I'm not going to tell the Horror Story about one Dell I had

8. Slickrick214

I wouldn't buy anything from Dell even if they were the last computer company in the world. I'm deciding between 23 and 24 inch monitors. It's hard to decide. The monitors in stores always look smaller tan when they're actually sitting on your deck. I n one way I think 24" is to much but 23" is kind of blah. For gamers using a single monitor what size do you use?

9. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    It's the viewing height that is the important "Viewing area" ... As compared to a standard 4:3 ratio CRT monitor.
    A 24 inch wide screen monitor will be 11.77 inches tall and a 23 inch will be 11.28 inches tall.
    The difference is about a half inch smaller (.49") .. And the width will be 7/8" of an inch smaller.
    It's not Too Much when you get used too one .. But you might need a wider desk :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice