1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backtrack linux questions

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by DuO, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DuO

DuO Thread Starter

hi
    i want to start using linux. a friend told me backtrack is a great live cd and he sais something about insatlling programs on it. he does some "hacking" with it and i want to know how to use it and how to install programs on it.

any info. is helpful
    thanks

2. saikee

saikee

The curiosity of this thread gets me going so I loaded my Backtrack 2006-2 which I have touched for may be half a year.

I didn't see anything special about it but being a member of the Slax family it will be pretty quick. The program repository should be same as Slax. Slax does allow the user to configure it in various ways but I wouldn't call it hacking.

I suppose since Slax family permits a log in as root to GUI and so it does have the above-average capability than other Distros, notably Debian, that denies a user to log in as root to its GUI.

I must admit I have used Slax, which Backtrack is just another variant but I have read its capabilities yet, to rescue several faailed XP machine before. Being root a user can mount any NTFS partition and inherit the admin right to read/write a XP. Such ability is standard on every Live CD. May be Backtrack has some more that I haven't pay attention to.

For anybody wanting to install it just boot it up and click "system" then "BackTrack installaer". The normal time for a distro installation from the Slax family should be nor more than 10 minutes.

3. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Cool distro!
    I couldn't find it at distrowatch, googled it and eventually found the ISO at remote-exploit. I'm using it as we speak. It looks like it will do all kinds of neat stuff.
    It's sorta like Knoppix...

4. saikee

saikee

I don't think the members of the Slax family will appreciate to resemble like a Knoppix which is derived from Debian.

Slax originated from Slackware.

Slax has grown rapidly in term of popularity in recent years. Among them are Slax, Slampp, BackTrack, AliXe, DNALinux, Klax, LG3D, Wolvix and Whax. All of are nice to use, very compact, use the ram extensively so always fast and boot very quick.

You should try the latest Slax which use a unification filing system that really flies. I use Slax for quick jobs but it does lack a few things and may have a battle to be regarded as an all-rounder.

5. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Well, a nectrine is sorta like a peach - so.....the function and utilities on both are similiar, it just reminded me of Knoppix that's all. I actually like it better.
    No offense intended to the Slax family - or the Debian community!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice