Backup >5 GB Outlook File??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Docman

I am trying to back up my Outlook Archive file, whixh is a 5 GB .PST file. The USB hard drives can't take it (I am told) because of a file size limitation.

How do I back up these files?

Where did you hear that? If you are talking about flash drive then it's the Fat32 format just format to Ntfs in "Run,diskmgmt.msc " or right click it in My Computer and choose "Format".

Docman

I AM OVER MY HEAD. I read on aome forum that when one tries to transfer a greater than 4 GB file to, i.e. a USB drive (i.e. for back up) you get a disk is full message which I got. THE DISK IS NOT FULL.

So I am looking for a way to transfer my 5 GIG Outlook Archive PST file to a back up drive for backup. I have a WD passport.

Thanks

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
From Explorer /My Computer, select the drive, right mouse, properties
What does the File System show as? FAT32 or NTFS

fairnooks

Banned
You can either format the Passport to NTFS file system, after which your file size restriction does not apply or you might try zip compressing the file first and see if it shrinks to less than 4 gigs so you can move it to the Passport.

You can also use WinZip or WinRar to split the file into smaller chunks if just compressing it doesn't get it small enough.
After creating the archive in WinZip, Click Action | Split
WinRar can split the archive at the same time you create it. Choose the size in the Split to volumes, bytes drop down (You can specify MB by adding M to the end of the number, so 2048M would create 2GB sized volumes)

HTH

Jerry

Docman

I take it reformatting the Passport will cause data loss? Any down side to an esternam hard drive formatted as NTFS? I think that is the easiest solution because I want to set up the system for automatic back ups.

Thank you all for helping!!

fairnooks

Banned
The only drawback to NTFS on an external drive is if you use it as a media drive that other devices can read such as a USB/Divx/DVD player, it will only be able to read FAT32 formatted drives. Or if you also want to use the drive on a Mac or on pre XP operating systems, FAT32 is easily recognized for reading and writing while NTFS is not.

Formatting to NTFS is destructive to any data on the disk being formatted.

The only drawback to NTFS on an external drive is if you use it as a media drive that other devices can read such as a USB/Divx/DVD player, it will only be able to read FAT32 formatted drives. Or if you also want to use the drive on a Mac or on pre XP operating systems, FAT32 is easily recognized for reading and writing while NTFS is not.

Formatting to NTFS is destructive to any data on the disk being formatted.
I agree with everything you say except format to NTFS should not destroy any data, but it sure doesn't hurt to back it up first either.

fairnooks

Banned
Isn't that only if one converts (using the convert command instead of the formal format route) the disk? And like you said, would anyone cross thier fingers and trust it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts