1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swampmonster, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swampmonster

swampmonster Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Dell 4400 running XP. I had a hard drive failure and lost everything. It has taken several days to reload a new drive. What is the best way to back up the entire c drive? Should I buy an exra drive or zip drive. I don't know much about hardware. I just want an easy way to rebuild a drive if my new one fails and of course, not loose all my personal files again.

My computer won't even recognize the original drive. Any suggestions on how I might retrieve some of my lost files? I'm assuming it's a lost cause but I'd like to retrieve my digital picutures if possible.

TIA!

2. ranger007

ranger007

I bought an external USB hard drive and only use it to backup files I don't want to lose. And, if need be, it's portable and can be used with other computers.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I second the USB and/or Firewire external disk, I have a bunch of them in use here. They're reliable, portable, and more immune from damage than a backup that you leave on-line all the time.

4. Jakbrud

Jakbrud

I am not a fan of backup software. I personally just backup my important data to a cdr once a month. Its important to keep the backup in a safe location AWAY from your home (work, school, etc.)

5. JohnWill

I backup my source files and documents every day, and I take an image of my O/S once a week. I have DVD-RW backups that I keep with me that get updated about once a week. I couldn't live with once a month...

6. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

I have a second internal hard drive that I use Norton Ghost on once a week. Then if one fails, I simply change cables and have my original files ready to boot. Oh, you can pick up a copy of Norton Ghost 2003 on Ebay for usually less than ten bucks with shipping.

I would also suggest that you put this drive that failed as a slave in your computer and see if you can retrieve your original files.

7. swampmonster

swampmonster Thread Starter

OK. Sounds like getting an external disk (USB) is the way to go. I looked at the Maxtor One Touch 120 GB drive but the description says that it backs up data. Are there any external drives that I can use to back up the entire system (os, drivers, software, etc)? Do I need to buy an external drive and software (ie. Norton Ghost) to get an image of the whole disk? It has been such a pain loading a disk from scratch...I never want to do it again. :) Thanks for you help.

8. JohnWill

Norton GHOST or Acronis True Image will both save/restore a boot image to your USB/Firewire drive. The partition image is better than cloning the partition IMO, because it only takes up the space needed for a compressed image, and it's just a file on the disk until you need to restore it. You can also explore the image and extract individual file(s) if you desire.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice