1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup drive troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by emong007, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emong007

emong007 Thread Starter

I am running Win 98. I have an HP sure store DAT 8 external tape drive. The back up software in use is HP Colorado Backup
    II version 7.1. I am working on moving my back up to a new pc. It too is running Win 98. I have connected the tape drive,
    and installed the HP Colorado Backup II version 7.1 software. I then copied the Colorado Backup directory from the old PC
    to the new one. This copied my back up jobs (what files to back up when.) I stuck a tape in the drive and tried to run a restore
    from the new pc but it kept telling me to insert the tape. I think I need to copy the tape catalog file or something like it from the
    old pc to the new on but I am not sure what file to look for. Any ideas?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi Welcome to TSG...
    You probably just need to install the drivers for the tape drive to the new pc. Did you get an install disk with the tape drive?
    Did any New Hardware detection happen when you started up with the tape drive installed? For some installs, the reccommended way is to cancel the NewHardware Wizz and run the drivers from a disk, or point Windows to a folder, it depends on the device.
    Says in the info at HP that they come with "electronic manual" I guess that's a CD....in other words, the user guide is on the CD.
    If you dont have the disk....it is all available at HP:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...ale=en_US&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=42883

Drivers, add on software, install guides, are all there.
    Maybe you could back that all up when you get it going! LOL
    8 gigs a tape- that aint bad!! How much was it in US$?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd start by trying to run a test backup on the new system, just to make sure the drive is working properly. It sounds like the backup program doesn't recognize the format on the tape, which doesn't make sense since they're created by the same program!

4. emong007

emong007 Thread Starter

Problem solved. I did not want to risk losing the data on the tapes. So I left them as is and bought some new ones. Now the back ups are working on the new setup and if I need something of the old tapes I will move the drive to the other computer and run a restore.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice