1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup emails and address book

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Telegraph Sam, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Telegraph Sam

Telegraph Sam Thread Starter

Query originally posted on DOS forum but perhaps better aired here:

1. I have found where my email archives reside on my hard disc and want to back them up to a server. The folders are however very large so having done the first copy operation I want to copy "incrementally" or "differentially" in future to save time - just the altered files. Can this be done?

2. I have "exported" my Address Book but I suspect that the file contains just an alphabetical list of contacts. Instead I want to preserve the structure of the subfolders. Can this be done?

Advice appreciated.

2. Oily

Oily

I know Acronis lets you make incremental/differential backups of files after the initial backup.Maybe worth trying it out.

3. Telegraph Sam

I was toying with investing in Acronis but read such a succession of negative feedback on Amazon over their non-existent customer care that I thought of trying one or other of the freebie programs instead. However most don't offer incremental backups so that then led to thinking of doing it on a DIY basis - with predictable results!

4. hewee

hewee

You did not say what email program.

http://ramona.mozfaq.org/solutions/index6.html

Archiving and Accessing Netscape, Mozilla, SeaMonkey, and Thunderbird Mail on CD
    Archive & Access Mail on CD

Sorry some links are dead that point to AT&T where she had her site for years on screenshots.
    I emailed her about too. She may know about it because she just changed over a short time ago.

5. Telegraph Sam

Oops - should have said: Outlook Express. [on Windows XP]

6. hewee

hewee

Sorry don't know anything about Outlook Express but I never use it.
    But I think there is a program to back it up but don't know the name.

7. Telegraph Sam

I think you are right so I'm hoping that some other helpful reader will oblige with suggestions for OE. As far as I understand it Acronis as suggested by Oily is the full works = when you want to image the complete disc (a worthwhile exercise!) rather than just OE.

8. hewee

hewee

9. hewee

hewee

10. Telegraph Sam

Great thanks I'll give it a try. It looks vaguely familiar. I don't understand the difference between "Quick" and "Freebie" but hopefully the former is still alive and kicking after 5 1/2 years!

11. hewee

hewee

You're welcome.

Well you can do a search and look around because only you know what it looked like.

I never used IE or Outlook or Outlook Express. IE used only for MS Updates so hard for me to tell a lot about the programs.

Good luck

12. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

13. Boofhead

Boofhead

I'm not the best at this however for future reference, I would like to share with you how I got around the same issue. My XP installation wouldn't start and eventually I could not get anything unless I was in safe mode. About a month prior to this happening I bought a new WD Smartdrive (external with one USB connection only). 500GB for about $120. Included in it was a backup program that I could tweak as far as what i wanted to back up. Really glad I did this as after i reinstalled windows I lost most of the stuff I needed. Once I hooked the WD drive back up, it auto installed itself and I clicked on recover tab. Bout 15 min later I had all my stuff back. Best money I spent.

14. hewee

hewee

Is it really freeware because it only says "Free Download" and most all trial software if free to download but that down not mean it is freeware.

15. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

I've been using a free version for a long time now, so I don't know if the terms & conditions may have changed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice