1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup entire computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Falcon007, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Falcon007

Falcon007 Thread Starter

I am trying to find a program that will back up my entire computer to the littlest thing. I am planning on refomatting my hard drive but I dont want to lose anything. I am a pretty big gamer and I am trying to not lose any of my saved games, characters etc. Is there a way to do this? Thanks a lot.

I am running XP Pro, SP2

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. Falcon007

Falcon007 Thread Starter

Which one do you think would be the simplest? Im not very experienced with this kind of thing and I dont want to screw anything up

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Most people here seem to like Acronis True Image. It is very easy to use, can make drive images (about 60% of the size of the used space on the drive), clone drives, and be scheduled to make backups in the background while you work. Acronis can restore an image to a new drive or partition, larger or smaller, so long as it will fit.

It can back up to any medium, including CD/DVD, but it is far easier to use a second drive, internal or external, since that makes the automatic backups easier.

The pay versions above are all easier to use and more user-friendly than the free ones. I have successfully imaged and restored Vista with Clonezilla, but it was not an easy process since the options are hard to understand and the instructions poor. But it works.

I've also used Drive Snapshot. No frills, small and easy.

So, it boils down to whether you want to spend money and what backup media you intend to use.

5. Gnomad

Gnomad

There is no point in making a drive image or a clone of a drive that you plan on reformatting, because when you put the image back on the hard drive you will have the same thing that you started with.

6. Masterman10

Masterman10

True image has the ability to clone only programs and files and not the system itself. That would be your best bet.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you back up programs only, they will not work when you install a new system. All the programs would need to be reinstalled.

An Acronis image can be mounted as a drive so you will have access to all the files from your previous installation. If you know where your game characters, scores, and so on are stored, you can move them to the new installation.

8. allheart55

allheart55

I agree with Elvandil, as well. Acronis True Image hasn't failed me yet. I have been using it for almost 5 years. If you mount it afterwords, you can simply drop and drag what you want or need. Approx. 3 weeks ago I purchased True Image 11 from newegg.com for $25.99. It is user friendly as well as a small price to pay for something you do not want to lose! (y)

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good price. That will look like nothing to anyone who has lost everything before. :D

10. Falcon007

Falcon007 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will try that True Image, I will get back to you with any results

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice