1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup External drive seen by My Computer, but not Backup & Restore

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dobber9, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dobber9

Dobber9 Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 7 64x Home Premium on a Toshiba Qosmio X505 laptop. I just got it back from the warranty repair center, where they replaced the hard drive and graphics fan & heatsink, and reloaded the factory windows version. Before I sent it out for repair, I used Windows Backup to create a backup of all my files on a Toshiba casio 500GB external USB drive (I had over 300 GB of files, so it was easier to use Windows Backup than drag and drop all the files, at least at the time). Now that I have the laptop back, I'm having trouble restoring my files. When I go to Control Panel-> Backup & Restore, a message appears in the restore section, saying "Windows could not find a backup for this computer." I've tried reconnecting the drive as well as restarting my computer, but to no avail. I can see and explore the files in My Computer, so I know the hard drive is properly connected. I appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,
    Dobber9

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Did you try option one from here? Maybe the computer has a different name now and isn't recognizing it?

3. Dobber9

Dobber9 Thread Starter

The computer name was different, but then I changed it to match the old name, and nothing changed. I've attached a print screen of what I see when I open the backup drive in My Computer. As you can see, the shortcut to the file restore is not there.

Attached Files:

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Found this blurb/resolution on another forum concerning not detecting the backup;

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You made an image of the drive. The image is a backup of the old system and not of the one that is installed now. You should have used the file and folder backup if all you wanted to save were personal files. As it is, you saved Windows and everything else. If it is the exact same board, the image may run when restored to your drive, but you should make an image of your current system before you try in case you need to restore that later.

The error message is correct. You have no backup of your current computer.

6. Dobber9

Dobber9 Thread Starter

I tried fairnooks' suggestion with no success. I allowed sharing with full permissions, and searched for it through the "network" but even after I select the folder, I get a error message saying that Windows cannot find any backup sets in the selected folder.

Also, it is the same board Elvandil, and I already have created a current system image on a separate usb drive.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's good that it is the same board, but the backup is still of the old OS and not the current one.

Do you have a DVD to boot from for Windows 7? You can't restore a backup image from Windows.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Still there? Are you crying?

This might all have a much better end than you expect. If you made a full image, you just backed up more than you needed to. When you restore it, you will have everything back, Windows, your programs, your files, right down to the wallpaper you were using.

Do you have a DVD of 7 to boot from? What is inside that image folder in the attachment?

In case I'm not around later:

Be sure you have a full image of your current drive saved in case something goes wrong with the restoration and you need the current setup back.

Then, open the Backup program and create the system repair disk from it. You will only need a CD.

Boot your computer from the CD you made and follow the directions here to restore the image that you made:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7702/restoring-windows-7-from-an-image-backup/

After you restore the image, shut down and try to boot from the hard drive. If it doesn't work, boot from the CD again and run Startup Repair. That should take care of it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice