Backup Failed Error code: 0x81000031

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lynn2024

Sysinfo:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8104 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 223 GB (124 GB Free); G: 596 GB (195 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0GDG8Y
Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Enabled and Updated

Every time I try to backup my machine I get an error message that backup failed, error code: 0x81000031.

I'm backing up to a Western Digital external hard drive, My Book. It has 195 GB free of 596 GB which should be enough free space for a backup. The previous backup only used 161 GB. I have a few small files on the external hard drive that total only a few MB of space.

Knowing how to resolve this problem is way above my pay grade....LOL.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

Lyndol

lynn2024

Here's a link from Microsoft that describes that error. Maybe one of the options pertain to you?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975692

Thank you for the link. I think "Scenario 1: Custom libraries are unavailable" applies. When I try to work this I get another error message:

The backup location is not connected. Data file backup:
System image:
Other files:
Free space:

There are no numbers after the items above. The external hard drive is connected. I've ran the cable and the light on the front is on.

I'm also getting this error message:

A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an
unexpected error. Check the application log for more
information. (0x80042302)

I don't have a clue how to check the application log and probably wouldn't understand it anyway...LOL

I'm in a bit over my head. Something that seems funny to me is the fact I took a course "Introduction to Computers" in about 1969 while in college. The computer was huge and in a climate controlled room at a given temperature and humidity. No one was allowed in the computer room except the people who worked in it. We had to use punch cards for data entry; man what a pain. If you hit the wrong key, you had to start over on another punch card. You folks probably aren't old enough to remember those dinosaurs.

One another note, System Restore isn't working either.

Thank you,

Lyndol

lynn2024

Check if Volume Shadow Copy Service is enabled and running
http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3276839
While try to follow your suggestion, I encountered this error message:
A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an
unexpected error. Check the application log for more
information. (0x80042302)

Again, I don't know what to do next.

I wish there was a contest for receiving the most error messages. I'd be a shoe in...LOL

lynn2024

hi ,here are details for the tips .

I'm sure I must be missing something, but here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing on your reply: See attachment.

I'm sure you wrote more than that, but that's all that's showing up on my end.

This is only my second visit to these forums asking for help and I'm still learning my away around and I may be missing something.

The first time I came to you folks with a problem, you were a great help, and I appreciate it very muchl

Lyndol

Attachments

plodr

Liz
I don't understand your attached file Lyndol.

Head here
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaX4l9SwguE
and see if you can watch the YouTube video that Baillifeifei posted.

lynn2024

I don't understand your attached file Lyndol.

Head here
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaX4l9SwguE
and see if you can watch the YouTube video that Baillifeifei posted.

I see why you don't understand the attachment. It was a screenshot, but I was signed in at the time I took it. The site must have logged me out for inactivity. My fault. I usually check an attachment before I send it, but this time I missed it. Sorry 'bout that.

Lyndol

lynn2024

hi ,here are details for the tips .
The video you sent me wasn't showing last evening when I looked at it, but it's there today. I see it now. I don't know why it didn't show up yesterday, but the space the video is in was blank last evening.

Thank you very much. I don't have the time right now, but I'll definitely work a little later.

Thanks again,

Lyndol

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online