1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved backup failed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ozziebeanie, Jul 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi All

I went to do the usual backup on my Windows 7 pc and for some reason I get the message –

The backup failed

The System cannot find the file specified (Ox80070002)

I have looked up this error on Google and also within Microsoft forums all are the same answers of which do not apply to me, my drive does have a letter allocated to it and it's not backing up even part of it, as some in the forums are saying it only backs up part of it with me it is not backing up at all

Would much appreciate a point in the right direction as to what it could be that is making it fail, I have done several backups in the past on this drive before (of which is in a Drive Docker)

My computer has the correct time zone and date etc, no other problems with pc

My operating system on this computer is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Cheers

Serena

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What device are you trying to save this backup to?

3. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi DaveA

To a harddrive in a drive docker seagate 7200 1t....... Your right, I will dig out my other externals and see if that works, what a dummy i am, will post here if it still fails, even though i can read the drive does not mean its working completely right. Docker is a NexStar Dual Bay Hard Drive Dock

4. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Ok I have dug out one of my newer externals that plug strait into the pc as opposed to the Docker, I was able to do a backup successfully, I tired another drive in the Docker and it said it could not do the backup because the drive is corrupt.

So the two sata drives, one the backup fails at different points (tried several times with that drive) and the other one does not even start the backup at all and says its corrupt or words to that effect.

So either the Docker is faulty or the two drives I used are stuffed, (they are pretty old) I think less likely two drives have failed at the same time even if in different ways,

So what I am going to do, I am going to get one of those externals out of the case (newer ones and put it in the Docker) the one that worked before, also going to use the second bay it could be just the slot I use all the time that is buggered as the Docker has two bays of which I use the front one all the time and very rarely both at the same time and not used the rear one in quite some time.

Since I have done a successful backup, I will mark this as solved and thanks for commenting and making me think about it a bit more in the right direction

Cheers

Serena

5. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Have had a go at using the other slot in the Docker, no go there either, I have a spare Docker at my dad’s so I can test to see if it's both the hard drives or the Docker.

I somehow doubt two hard drives have crapped out at the same time but you never know, will know Friday what the go is with it when I see my dad, at least I know it's not the operating system or some file missing in it because of the successful backup I did on one of the newer usb drives.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice